CRF250R 2005 changes (long)

I got the new 2005 CRF250R Parts Catalog from Helm yesterday (9/7), and immediately spent about an hour looking through it to see what's new for 2005. Helm, Inc web site

There are changes on 33 pages, sometimes just one or two and sometimes as many as six or seven.

Here's a list of most of the changes (these all have new part numbers; I don't know the extent of the differences):

Engine and carb:

Cylinder head and gasket, spark plug (and spark plug wrench!), cam (but not the valves and springs), cylinder and gasket, right crankcase cover, clutch springs (but not the plates), crankcase right and left center cases, countershaft (plus four collars and a bearing but no gear changes), gearshift (forks, shafts, drum and spindle), carb floats, diaphragm pump (accel pump), needle (NCYQ), main jet (170), pilot jet (42).

Suspension/brakes/wheels:

Front fork changes, rear brake pads, caliper, and bracket, rear wheel hub, spokes, and axle, rear shock (many including damper, piston assembly and rod).

Misc:

Fuel tank, radiator shrouds and graphics, seat, side number plates (both), air cleaner housing (but not the air cleaner), muffler (and several associated exhaust pipe changes), chain guide, swingarm (probably chain guide related), rear fender, ignition control module, both radiators and the cap, frame and upper engine hanger brackets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Notable items UNchanged include:

Valve assemblies (valves, valve springs, valve spring retainers, valve spring seats, valve cotters, buckets, shims)

Piston assembly (piston, rings, pin, clips)

Clutch plates

Air cleaner

Gearing

Front wheel assembly (hub, rim, spokes, front brake)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The new cylinder head is reported to have new inlet/outlet shapes but not new valve seats.

The front axle has a different offset, so some fork changes are for this difference, but some changes are for new valving and springs.

Honda has not been idle and addressed many problems on the CRF250R. I think it's most interesting that the valve assemblies are unchanged.

I can hardly wait to see the CRF250X changes.

actually the graphics r pretty much the same design but slightly different heres a pic on comparison

compare0405.jpg

I beg to differ here. My '05 graphics are much faster than the '04's. There is significantly less sticker there, and therefore less weight. ?