Sign in to follow this  

First drz roadtrip with kid

Sunday i took my 3 year old for our first road trip. We went south on 337 towards the Monzano mountains, no traffic lights and nice terrain, twisty and hilly.

It was pretty windy but the little guy never complained. One thing I noticed was that even the most grizzled harley guys gave me 'the wave'. I guess they could see his little

green helmet poking over the handlebars.

One nice thing about the drz is the upright seating position, I could squeeze him with my legs and keep him clamped to the seat.

Eventually we got to Tajique, we stopped for gas and got something for lunch.

Then we headed up the jeep road to on a loop that goes through some of the campgrounds in the Monzanos. We stop at 4th of july canyon and eat lunch and go for a hike. It is unusually lush here (for new mexico). If it weren't for the huge ponderosa pines you would think you were in vermont.

We head out on the jeep trail to finish the loop. It is rutted and bumpy but the stock drz suspension is perfect for the stuff. We head into another canyon that is something you see in a picture book.

We get back on to 337 and head home. A few miles out of Tajique Cole starts rocking back and forth in an odd manner and then starts flopping around. Then he flops forward and is laying on the gas tank.

He fell asleep!

I pull off the road and try to get him off the bike so he can take a nap but he immediatly wakes up. He starts running around and we pick some grass that looks like a caterpillar is on the end. We get back on the bike and head

home, he clenches his fistfulls of wooly worm grass all the way home.

It's days like these that make all the crying, diapers (luckily we are done with those) and throwup worth it! :thumbsup:

I can relate to him falling asleep, my son used to do that too.

I used to take my son on front of my Kdx200, we rode along a disused railway line near our old house and putted around some local trails.

He has his own bike now a Yamaha PW80, he flies on it, i wont be able to keep up with him soon, no kidding about that :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/Dendrz/Ianpw2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/Dendrz/Ianpw1.jpg

I have noticed my son slumping as if falling asleep and it concerns me. I make him ride onht eback because there are not foot pegs in the front for him.

I was thinking that I need to invent a upper body harness to lock his body to mine. That way if he fell asleep I would not have to worry about him falling off.

Piece of mind...ya know?

I dont think you are supposed to put a kid on the back unless they are 9 or 10. I feel as though he is pretty safe on the front. he puts his foot on the exhaust guard and the ignition cover, he never complains about being uncomfortable.

I don't know about where you live but in WI, the passanger must be in back of you. Any age can ride but their feet must reach the footpegs.

Ya you gotta watch the little ones they arent good for long rides. Can fall asleep and fall right off the back.

Best thing to do is keep it less than an hour or so.

Don't need any incidents to happen. Not worth it.