Sign in to follow this  

Worth the Risk?

Ok Fellow Suzuki riders, heres the story.... I have a chance to buy an 04' Rmz 250 with Renthal sprockets, chain, bars, full fmf powerbomb exhaust, boyseen impeller, black rims, new tires for $ 4,200. In good shape low hours. Should I jump all over it or wait for an 05' with some update and hop it up myself??? Should I worry about 3,4th gears?? valves? overheating?? or just screw it and buy it??

do you race or mostly trail ride? If you trail ride you won't have to worry about anything blowing up or overheating (he put the boyesen setup on it so you're good) There have only been a very very very (you with me yet?) limited number of people with gear trouble and if you look on the board you'll only see a thread or two on the subject. (it was most likely a manufacturer's defect in the few bikes that were affected) Do you know when the bike you're buying was made (what month)? If it is an actual 04 and not made in 03 you're safe. for the price go for it.

we have one and have had lots of problems with the valves. We have blown up twice. Last repair lasted 36 mins. total time on bike is less than 15 hours. There is a fix but it runs about 2200.00 Includes new valves, springs and machine work to the valve seats. If the bike blows up expect to pay around 1400.00 just for parts from kawaski or suzuki

I love my RMZ... when it runs. I too have started having the valve issue. My thoughts... spend the extra grand you'll end up spending on valve train parts, and just get a YZF.

When they're both running the performance is comparable. When it comes to reliability, the Yamaha is hands-down way more reliable. My '01 YZF ran like a top for a year and a half without even looking at the valves. My '03 I only rode for a season, with zero valve issues. Theyve got it figured out.

That's my take. Aside from the valves I have no complaints about the RMZ. But, my complaints with the valves are considerable.

~Tex

RMZ

It´s mostly rider and how you take care of your bike! The Yam is not reliable at all if you rev the pooh out of it! And I have some friends how blow Yamaha engines in row!

What valve issue do you mean on the RMZ??? I talked to the mechanic from Kawi Germany, and he says: if the valve seats (or the valves on the side they touch the saet) are somehow rough, it´s only cause there got some dirt in your engine! And that is cause of a leaking airbox where the engine gets very fine dirt (you cant see it in the intake, but if you remove the carb and put a finger in the intake, you´ll notice that there is perhaps something). And that is why the intake valves are mostly broken (if there´s something broken), too.

Think about it...!

The 05 bikes use the same valves and valve springs as the 04 model. The 05 does have larger rad. but still has same coolant routing as 04. What are you calling low hours, procircuit has done some testing and found the valve springs can be fatigue as early as 10 hrs. which will cause the valves to float and cause some problems. Also you should make sure the rings are fresh at about 15 hrs and the piston and rings at 30 hrs. If you install a after market spring kit you will help you bike out alot as far as the valve problems. For more details you can call pro circuit and speak with Dave Chase. He is there 4 stroke man! The 05 also has a all new head design and seems to be a big improvement. It also has several other small improvements. Both 04 and 05 are good bikes as all 4strokes has some problems of there own.

Freak... I don't scream my motor. I ride cross country, and treat it like a 450. There's no place for horsepower in the woods. I also replace my airfilter with a clean one every ride. It took 9 months for me to have my first valve problem. The second valve lasted 2 months.

With LESS maintanance, my YZFs ran without a hiccup for 1 and 2 years. And when you say "what valve issue do you mean", I would define it as the exact same intake valve that's been replaced in a majority of the KXF/RMZs.

I love this bike too, but I'm not one to overlook it's obvious shortcomings... that being a hunger for timing-chain side intake valves. I'm going on my 3rd intake valve, and Sunruh over on the YZF side has 4 seasons on his YZF and still has the original valves and springs in it.4 seasons

Rather than just taking my word for it though... search the RMZ and YZF forums for"valve" and see what you come up with for each? (And there are 4 years worth of YZF owners out there vs our 1 year.)

The facts don't lie. I love this bike. It has an intake valve problem.

~Tex

RMZ

Some but not all are having trouble with that same valve. We had trouble with the one on the right side, not the one next to the chain. Premature valve wear could also be caused by a lean cond. On the 05 models kawi has made some porting changes to both int.and ex. The intake side has the devider extended much closer to the carb for more equal fuel to each valve. The valve springs can also have an effect on the life of the valves. We are puting some hours on a 05 model with pro cicuit valve spring kit, High comp. race piston, and a set of WMR perf. cams. WE are only at 12 hrs on bike but we are logging all info down on every inspection after each ride. No sign of wear yet, leak down test shows good and no change in valve clearance at 12 hrs.

At about 15 hrs we will put in a new set of rings and inspect valves. We also run a leaded fuel in the 05 bike. We did not on the 04. And yes we had our share of prob. and more with the 04