Sign in to follow this  

Break-In...did a search, didn't find what I was looking for.

Got my 2005 CRF250R. I want to know if I broke in the motor correctly. The first day, I started it up and took a lap around my driveway. That day I took it to the trails and let err rip. I took it into 5th gear full throttle and I used all the gears at all RMP's. The next day, I did the same thing. I never hit the rev-limiter and always used all the RMP's...Is this a hard-break in? After those two rides, I changed the oil (not filter)...but I didn't notice any loss in oil...What do you think?

Yep. What Mudmonkey said. Change BOTH crankcase and tranny oil right away. Then change it again after your next ride. Then you're good to go.

-Fiddler

So with motomans theory on break in applied to a CRF would you basically start it up, let it warm up and just do some hard track time,verying RPM's? Isnt there a chance of the valves not seating properly? Is this the method that everyone has been using? Just wondering because my 05 hasnt even been run yet(no prep or fluids even) and I want to make sure I get the most out of it.

All I know it has worked for me and my friends. I have broken in 3 big thumpers and my friends several big and small thumpers, all makes. No problems so far. The topic is controversial, I cannot tell you the theory is a bible, but it sounds reasonable to me. Just let the bike cool down between the break-in sessions and always start riding with properly warmed-up engine. And remember to change the oil and filter after break-in. But listen to other opinions too. :thumbsup: