Sign in to follow this  

Beating Muscle Cramps

I am riding in an enduro in the last weekend of this month. 70 miles or so. Finishing is my goal. It will be my first attempt @ one. I live in Houston so humidity is a bytch this time of year. The enduro is 1 hour north of town in the National Forest. We went riding last weekend and did a few loops equaling about 30 miles. I had the worst muscle cramps I have had in a long time. Legs, arms and back. I had the camel back full all day and drank constantly during the rides. I drink alot of water during the week. I had a full pasta meal the night before and had a decent breakfast followed with 4 bannanas. I work out 4 times a week. Each workout begins with a 30 minute 9 mile ride on the exercise bike. I guess I am looking for anyone who had delt with cramps and what remedies have worked for you 1/2 way through a race. Pull over and strech? Slow it down and fight through it? Pack some food in the camel back? Call it quits and race home and put the skirt & apron on and get dinner ready for the wife and kid?

Posted this in the Off-Road forum too.

I've had similar issues off and on but I find that when I ride a lot, they go away. When I get one, I keep going and it usually goes away. This also assumes that I hydrate the week before an enduro. I will be trying this stuff to start the second half of the enduro race season: http://www.eletewater.com

More info ...

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/article.htm

http://www.betterbodz.com/library/muscle_cramps.html

Try taking an asprin (I'm not a doctor and blah blah blah) before the race. Cramps are the result amoung other things of lack of oxygen. Asprin will slightly thin your blood and increase blood flow. Better blood flow to carry the oxygen to the muscles can help. Of course the other methods can help as well.

Try drinking more water during the week. You can't just drink extra the day of the race. You need to marinate your body during the week. Also try taking something with a diuretic. You'll have to drink even more water to compensate for the loss but it will help relieve the cramps. I take Tylenol Menstrol (yes I know). That contains 500 Ace. and 25mg of Pamabron which really helps keep out the arm pump. Also try not to drink alcohol at all. If I do I only drink on Sunday after a race or something. Water is the most important. I drink about a gallon a day during the week and about 2 on a race day. If it's really hot +90 I drink close to 3.

Hydrate! Keep hydrated, make sure you have electrolyte replenishing fluids....potassium is a biggy.....eat some bananas before and during the ride....