Sign in to follow this  

SV650 or DR650?

I've been looking at the sv650 as an everyday rider and possibly touring bike (in the future). I KNOW the sv is a great bike. I like the idea of running low rpm at highway speed (75mph). For some reason, I just don't know if I'd feel right on a "street bike". How capable is the DR650 at highway speeds? What rpm does it run at say..75mph with stock gearing. I realize that a tank swap/new seat would be necessary for long rides. It SEEMS to me that it would make a fine adventure/touring bike with a few mods. Am I right?

If you don't plan on hitting dirt roads that much, go for the SV650! I spent some seat time on a 2001, best street ride I've been on. The DR will run at 75, just not as smooth as the SV. I owned a KLR650 for a couple years, spent most of the time on the road. It could go off-road, it just wasn't as fun as a real dirtbike!

Two completely different bikes. SV is an awesome street machine / hooligan road bike. Great two lane blacktop, OK on the highway (compared to other highway - purpose bikes) and fun everywhere. Definitely a bike you can live with forever except on any type of dirt.

DR650 is a back roads, easy wide trails, fire trails, type of bike. OK and fun on two lane blacktop, just about out of its element on the highway. They can do it, but it is NO fun IMHO. Too buzzy, too high, for the highway. Super kickass bike for what it was meant for though.