Sign in to follow this  

Where to ride around Lexington in Kentucky?

Looking to do some trail riding around the Lex. area. Comming in from Ohio for the weekend. Any susgestions.

Estree is outside of Berea, about an hour or so from Lexington. It is part of the national forest so I don't really know how to give any info.

you could go to mountain parkway offroad,something like 2000 acres,take 64 to mountain parkway,get off claycity exit it is past the drag strip.we are planning on going in the next few weeks haven't been at all this year,it is my favorite! oh i forgot if you go during the week you should call really only open on weekends ,but i always call and they tell us to come down and basically have the whole place to yourself.606-663-1028

Bigc,

I'm down near Ft Campbell, KY. Would like to come up there and check this place out. Pretty good trail riding for us thumper-types? How's the hills?

Thanks,

MPOR is good, but no marked trails. They also have a small mx track and grass track section( back in the middle of the woods) some good tech. hillclimbs and some hidden single track. Free camping! I ride/race hare scrambles there alot. If you want an all day trailride go to REDbird it is a 77 mile loop some easy some hard, 5 miles of blacktop. gas stop halfway. poorly marked on ranger station side though.

Eagle Creek has a harescramble this Sunday. North of Frankfort about 35 miles. West of I-75 in the Dry Ridge area. Post back for more directions if you're interested & I'll email back.

Eagle creek blows. They have raced the same trails for 12 years, it's rocky as hell and poorly marked. I like old man JIM alot, but going there is A waste of time and money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is pretty good.I haven't been at all this year :cry: Last fall they were working on the trails,they needed it.Hills?They have a 20 mile loop up the side of this mountain and back.It is called there survival course it is pretty tough just keeps going up and up.We keep planning to to go but hasen't happenend,hopefully we get a semi warm day and i can give a ride report.That 77 mile redbird trails that were mentioned,i rode some of that last year it was pretty good also.It is just really far from here.Its in the daniel boone forest,the trails were pretty nice.

They have made massive trail improvements in the past year. New trails linked with some of the old, no big ruts, and good markings. If you haven't been there in a while or want to experience what a real hare scramble is all about go and check it out!

I've ridden there many times in the past 15 years and they've had some of the best courses ever this year. I've had people tell me that the last few were better than many of the GNCC and MSHS this season. Based on my racing experience this year at those venues, I'd agree!

Some info regarding racing and riding @ Eagle Creek Hare Scrambles, in Owen County, Kentucky can be found at the URL below.

http://annessky.net/echs/index.html

How may bike riders show up now. i quit going because the last time I went there were only 14 people there total! They started everyonr in the same row! I'll just tell you district 10 is in the toilet, I run d-11 and Southern Ohio Cross Country Series races $5 to get in $20 to race ELECTRONIC SCORING and 70 -200 riders. Eagle Creek lost all the riders when they continued to race the same trails over and over. OLD man jim is just old and unhealthy to do much since his heart surgery. It sucks that I live in KY and have to drive to ohio to attend quality races!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I agree that most hare scramble events this year at Eagle Creek have been poorly attended. Last year they certainly did run many of the trails I raced on years ago, but that has changed this year. I've been impressed with the new trails, the absence of ruts on some of the older trails and so forth. If you haven't been in a while, then attending just to ride some of the new trails as well as the "re-routed" and "cleaned up" ones is worth it.

With the price of gas as it is, paying $10 to $15 more to race "at home" in Kentucky may not be a bad option!

When did you last race @ Eagle Creek? What Class?

Ride On!

Mabye march 2004 not for sure. 4 st. there were ZERO arrows on the course! We would come to an intersection and just have to guess which way to go. I don't think the problem is eagle creek I think it is the lack of a leader(with new ideas) in charge of District 10 events. I told Summers when he retires he should put on some events . Also old man jim has to pay the same amount for ama insurance(so he does not get sued) that the Coombs family pays for 700 riders at a gncc. That just plain sucks charging a local promoter with 25 racers the same amount for insurance as a gncc :D That is why jim has to charge so much to race, and he basically makes 0 money by the time he gives out trophies, pay ins., and pays the amb. crew.

MY problem is with the AMA not jim and evelyn. It makes me sick to write the ama a check every since they are ruining of D 10 hare scrambles! :D

All D 10 riders should tell the AMA to quit screwing us!!!

Mabye march 2004 not for sure. 4 st. there were ZERO arrows on the course! We would come to an intersection and just have to guess which way to go. I don't think the problem is eagle creek I think it is the lack of a leader(with new ideas) in charge of District 10 events. I told Summers when he retires he should put on some events . Also old man jim has to pay the same amount for ama insurance(so he does not get sued) that the Coombs family pays for 700 riders at a gncc. That just plain sucks charging a local promoter with 25 racers the same amount for insurance as a gncc :D That is why jim has to charge so much to race, and he basically makes 0 money by the time he gives out trophies, pay ins., and pays the amb. crew.

MY problem is with the AMA not jim and evelyn. It makes me sick to write the ama a check every since they are ruining of D 10 hare scrambles! :D

All D 10 riders should tell the AMA to quit screwing us!!!

They are called race "Promoters", so they should promoter their race to get more people there. I quit going for all the reasons described above.

They are dated in their abilities to promote, and YES, the AMA makes it tough in terms of insurance and such. Most people complain that it is too hard, others that it is too expensive, and others that they run the same trails. They get alot of bad exposure in forums like this . . . it is all a matter of perspective!

I went 10 years without riding there and was very surprised at how things had gone downhill. I remember the days of 150+ riders at Eagle Creek. My son has just started racing in the past couple years and to him it is all new! I agree they cover some of the same ground as 10 years ago, but starting this year they truly mixed it up in a good way with new trails all over the place!

There have been rumors that people are looking to buy all the land. If someone would purchase with an intent to continue to hold events, that would be great! AMA District 10 needs a boost and some more agressive and savvy promoters could be the trick. The potential is there, someone just needs to figure out how to take advantage of it!

I'll admit that if a MSHS or GNCC is nearby, I'll be at that event, but otherwise, it is close by and you do see some friendly faces! :D

Shiny Side Up!!

Just gotta say that once again, the folks up @ Eagle Creek in Owen County, Kentucky did a wonderful job on the course for their Ironman race. It was well marked with MSR arrows and tape all over the place and the 11.5 mile course couldn't have been any better (well maybe damper . . . it was dry/dusty at times). Both "sides" of the property were used again making for some wonderful single track, creek beds, and of course rocks, roots and such on the hills. Gotta love it! Everyone raved about the course!

Turnout was low again and Jim Darlington indicated that there would be fewer races next year. I'm sure he's lossing money at this point.

The schedule for the last two races can be found @: http://annessky.net/echs/schedule.html

District 10 and those course may go down the tubes if turnout doesn't increase. I'd be a shame to lose such a nice place to race here in Kentucky. It may be "old hat" to some out there, but to many younger riders, the course is a brand new challenge!

Come check it out!