Sign in to follow this  

Tires sizes for a TE 250

I been running Micheiln S12 80 x 130 for about a year now - they work great in the conditions I ride and most all my freinds run them - they have excellent wear resistance too.

So at a trail stop I was looking at my freinds 300 KTM and his "small" S12 was a 90 x 120 and is a smaller tire as it looks like - he seems to have no problem with traction with it. They all concluded that the bigger 80 x 130 was too big for a 250 4S, and the smaller tire would help me spin in it in corners and such and help prevent bog. I think the 80 x 130 works well but I may be missing something - what are you guys running on your TE 250's I would like to know your experience and opnions.

Thanks!

MSTex

I always ran 125 sized tires on my 03 YZF250. The bigger tires don't really give you more traction. They weight more and make it harder to spool up and get roosting. Personally I think your friends are right, you should be running 125 class tires on your 125 class bike.

Most of the time I run a 100 or a 110 in Pirelli (they seem to run a little small). I would not run a 120(100) S12, the smaller S12 seems to wear very fast for me. I tried it once and it lasted about a month and half.

brown

I agree, the 120/90 S12 would be the correct size to get maximum performance from your engine. :thumbsup:

Thanks all this is really good input. Since the 80 x 130 S12 is brand new I will run it till it rounds off. The TE 250 seems to pull it but my next tire will surely be a 90 x 120 or a 100 x 18. The stock eco tire (junk) is a 90 x 120.

The first thing that got me started as the 90 x 120 S12 was on my friend's KTM as it had very narrow knobbies and the 80 x 130 knobbies are bigger/wider. The 80 x 130 wears like iron, I think the smaller knobbie profile 90 x 120 does wear quicker or even chunk. I may try a Perelli.

*** Check out the new TT section for off roading.

I really like my M12 front tire I think it is better than a S12 in the terrian I ride.

MSTex

I have had very good luck with my pirelli's

For years I only used S12's front and back but after I got the TE I started trying different tires.

So far I have had very good luck with The pirelli MT 83 front tire (looks and feels like the S12) and the MT16 in the rear. They have good traction (for my area) and wear very well.

brown