Sign in to follow this  

Carb fell off

Was out riding Sunday, having a wonderful day. Landed just short off a 105 ft table and my bike instantly lost power and started making strange noise. Like when you start it w/out the air filter. Sure enough, I look down and my intake manifold came off the head and the carb was hanging by cables. I dont understand, all of my clamps were tight, maybe Ill safety wire the damn thing on. Anyone else had this happen.?

it has happend some of the pros are running safety straps onthe carbs.chad reed had his come off during practice at a national check in side you intake side boot ive seen some get stress cracks on the inside, this would result in too much movement letting carb drop down hitting cases cause it to com out

ive had it happen 3 x .once at practice moto then after i replaced it it came off twice in one day it happens because of the force of casing jumps,old or cracked carb boots, to lose clamp or clamping the [@#$%&*!] out of it and squeezing it off.. I bought a new boot and safety wired mine. no probs since . my boot was old.

I had mine come off when another rider pile drove me from behind when a group of us stopped on the trail. Must have put just enough force on the air boot through the subframe to torque it off. Anyway, I ground down the spacers in the clamps to about half their original size to get a tighter fit.

my carb boot has been replaced due to a huge crack in it. Also, last week a bud's 03 yzf450 had the same problem.

It happens, I guess.