Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF250 HARD TO START, & DOESN'T IDLE

Ok all you gear heads out there, I need some help. I have a 04 CRF250 that I bought new in March. Since day one it has been very hard to start. I came off a 02 YZ250F and never had a problem starting that. Also since day one, it hasn't idled correctly. It is either too low (so the bike stalls) or too high (motors through the corners if you don't pull in the clutch). There is NO in between. I have had the air/fuel screw replaced w/ the one that doesn't need the special tool to adjust it. I also have Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust which PC installed. They also re-jetted it at the same time. Funny thing is, the new exhaust & jetting has not affected the idle problem & starting problems what so ever. It also doesn't make a difference whether I have a clean air filter or one that is a little dirty. I have run Ultimate 4 and regular gas station premium gas in it. Oh and by the way, it also likes to backfire a lot, but I heard that could be because of the PC T-4 exhaust. If anyone else has experienced a similar problem and figured out how to correct it please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an 04 crf250r and the cold start is fine but the hot start takes about 20 kicks. Please help...

check your valve clearances. reshim as needed...usually when you reshim a valve that has already gone to 0 clearance then you wind up doing it again with in a few hours or ride time....most likely will need to have valves and hardware replaced.

Also pull your hot start cable from the carb. Make sure it is not sticking, because if it is, it will cause similar problems. Lightly grease it when you put it back together.