Sign in to follow this  

xr for the road

ok here the sit rep. ive jus checked the state of funds in all accounts and even the secret one nehind the sofa :devil:. i have now come to the conclusion that buying the xr 250 jus for offroad would not be as my account manager (aka the missus :thumbsup: economically viable :awww: so what im wanting to know is how many of u guys use these on the road and y?

how do they handle, what tyres do u use on the road, what is it like in the wet, and wat are the headlights like. i need to go fully armed when i submit my proposal to the other half :lol:

Need WAY more info. to help.

Where do you live?

If California, buy a used already plated bike.

How much street riding? 10%, 20%, ???

Are you going to use this instead of a car?

Etc, etc, etc.

Fill in the blanks and re-submit! :thumbsup:

I have a plated 2.5 here in Illinois. It has a baja designes quick release kit on it with kenda(dot) tires (90% off/10%on). They are the most aggresive dot tires I could find and are cheap too!

If you pump up the pressure to close to max they ride prety good on the street.

It does good for city driving, but I wouldn't take it on the highway, not comfortable at 60mph.

You should be able to get a used XR400 for close to the same price and it would do better for the street, but....it depends on what you want out of the bike.

It depends on what you are going to use it for. I ride the holy living he@# out of my 1986 XR250R which is equipped with a Baja Designs kit. Sure it is a little short legged on the freeway even geared up with 13/42, but it retains all of it’s dirt worthiness. I have a blast dual sporting my XR. It has taken me on epic adventures. I have had the bike for years, and it is always the bike that never gets sold, it is like a trusty friend.

That being said, it is so much fun because I WANT to ride it, not because I HAVE to ride it. I would probably hate the thing if I had to use it for my main transportation.

I have owned both the XR400R and the XR600R and have spent a little time on the XR650R. The more road riding you do, the nicer it is to have more displacement, especially at freeway speeds.

If you are going to ride extensively on the road, simply buy a new XR650R and put a Baja Designs kit on it. You can find NEW, never sold 2002 and 2003 models for $3995, which is less than the XR250R, however it is a completely different bike. There is a reason they are called Big Red Pigs.

If it is going to be a mix, say 50/50, buy the XR400R—they are starting to drop in price. If you really like the 250 and are just exploring off road, it will be fine—but, the 400 is a much better bike for all around use.

I use Metzler Unicross tires.

ok i live in the uk the bike is already rigistered for the road, i would be using to get to and from work, this is mainly city riding i have a car but the bike is what i use for commuting for obvious reasons. but in the winter rain is more than comon obviously so what tyres would give the best grip. i just need some general advice

I use my XR400 here in the Colonies (Australia) for everyday commuting and love it. I have a TRX850 which is feeling neglected. No freeway/motorway work though - max speed would be 80-90km/h and mostly 60 ish. The only potential concern would be lack of electric leg if the bike stalls at the lights, just as they go green. This has not happened as yet. Tyres - still on the knobbies but looking at D604's or Pirelli MT60 or 90. On the rare occasion it rains here, I just go slower.

PfM

Hey buddy,

I bought my XR250L to ride off road but got a cheaper deal on a new "L" street legal instead so 8500 miles later(8200 worth are street miles). I love it. They handle AWESOME in the turns and some sicko's even road-race the XR650's with slicks down here in the curvy tracks. I get KILLER mileage in the city. 72mpg stock(although now I'm not stock anymore and get 60's b/c I beat on her a bit)I run stock Yokohama tire(70street/30offroad) in front and a more street based Pirelli(80street/20offroad) on back and have NO trouble in wet. The bikes brake system is very good and can even be improved with better pads. On interstate the 250L tops at 95mph with my 150 pound body and I get 72mpg on interstate now with the XR's only pipe. They are GREAT in the stop and go or interstate AND they ride a hell of a lot smoother than my harley, even though it's a real road bike, the XR has adjustable rebound/compression on the back shock, fronts are adjustable with air(Nitrogen) pressure. I say join the dual sport ranks my friend!!!