Sign in to follow this  

Asterisks not so comfy?

OK. I just got my asterisks and was hoping for possibly the impossible I suppose.

Well, I can't compare to any other braces out there but I'd hoped (because of cost) that they would be more comfortable than they are.

I can't really knock the product because I don't know how everything else feels that is available.

Question is, has anyone tried the asterisks and then opted for a different brand that fit THEM better?

I originally was gonna get the cti2's but prescription deal fell through so now I'm at a loss.

Anyone provide some direction?

I mean if they are gonna be uncomfortable for me then I might as well get a cheaper model right?

I got 'em and they are fine. :thumbsup: Wear the leg sock thing underneath them. Once you start riding, you'll forget they're on.

And they fit better than the prescription DonJoy (Defiance) one I got.

The Asterisks are far MORE comfy than my EVS Web was. I have worn them for 4 day's riding now and they are much better than they were at first. I wore them originally with the supplied stocking/sock thing but now I don't use that as it seemed to allow them to fall down more.

Definitely spend a little time adjusting them properly and give them a few rides before making up your mind :thumbsup:

What exactly is your problem with them? Are you absolutely certain you have them on the correct leg? Have you ridden with them? Did you adjust the cuffs to fit? Mine aren't the most comfortable thing to be walking 20 miles in, neither are my boots for that matter, however I don't even notice them when riding.

For those that complain about them sliding down, you need to tighten the laces in the calf area. Mine did that on my first ride. Tightened them up a little more and no problems since. I typically ride 70 miles or more at a time in the woods and I do use the inner sock. I've put about 400miles on mine in a couple months. I love them!

Give your self a few rides to adjust to the braces. My braces bothered me for the first few rides, but now I'm not even aware of them when I ride. I've had mine for about a year now. My two cents. Don B.

Asterisk are very comfortable compared to the rest of the braces on the market! I had to buy some 1/4" thick dense foam with adhesive back (kayak outfitting padding) and pad out some spots in the shin area. After that the rear fabric is extremely comfortable and keeps the brace from moving around. The hyper extension adjustment wears over time and you need to adjust it once or twice a year. Otherwise there is no need to adjust anything. The Asterisk knee sock is a must to protect the skin. :thumbsup:

Sounds like the consensus is that I should give them a shot.

My biggest problems with them are the area where they put pressure on my shin (doesn't seem like the area that is supposed to "cup" around shin cups correctly when tensioned (yes I have them on the correct legs), and also the area to the outside of the knee where "I" have this boney protrusion right below where my knee bends and that is rubbing on the buckle pad area.

Guess I need to give them a call to see if they can help with fitting.

Thanks everyone for the tips and thumbs up. Think I'm gonna give them a shot.

I'll see if I can locate some of that "kayaking dense foam".

By the way, do you take yours off between motos?

those are good braces-i use a cti2 on my bad knee and an old evs on my good one-but i am planning on getting a set of asterisks-KNEE BRACES ARE WAY MORE COMFY THAN A BLOWN OUT KNEE!!! :lol:ride safe peoples

I have mine padded out so nicely that I wear them all day and even if we stop for an hour break I will take my boots off but leave on the Asterisk braces. Go wild with the padding. You can buy it at Galayans or any good Kayak outfitter store. Just get the big 12" x 12" x 1/4" adhesive backed pads and cut them into strips needed to pad out the front shin area and any buckles that irritate you. :thumbsup:

I love mine. There was an adjustment period for sure - never worn knee braces prior. But now that I am used to them, they are adjusted right, I love 'em. Can't tell they're even on. In fact they're so comfy I plan to wear them for grocery shopping too :thumbsup:

I don't mean to get off the topic here, but does anybody wear knee braces to prevent hurting your knees? I've heard lots of stories about people blowing out their knees, and I really would rather spend money on knee braces, then hospital fees :thumbsup:

Kevin

That's probably the biggest customer base for Asterisk.

Hell, I remember when I was Innovation Sports back in the late 80's getting a brace, John Candy had just got both his legs measured up. He was getting them as a preventative measure

I have been wearing Asterisks for about 6 months and would not ride without them now. I have the under leggings but have never used them (too damn hot in FL during the Summer). They felt a little awkward at first, but once I got out on the track and turned a few laps I forgot that I even had them on. It is a must to take the time to adjust the shape of the cuffs using the small adjustment hex screws. :thumbsup:

emyers....sounds like you got some Neanderthal looking legs their man :devil::awww:

Indy_450

Excellant info! I've been looking for some of that dense foam myself, thanks! :thumbsup:

KTM Lew-

Funny! Up until this post I always thought they were pretty normal legs. Maybe my MAMAS been lying to me all these 40+ years (ya know) + my wife tells me I have "sensitivity" issues related to "autism... she's really sorta kidding.) I'm one of those guys who can't stand those socks that have the seam on the end of the toes cause they absolutely drive me crazy because of the pressure it puts on my toes.

Maybe that will clear some things up... :thumbsup:

Geez, I only weigh 160 but maybe I am a little boney at the lower extremeties. Just find it odd that everyone else can be so comfortable.

I just bought a pair of the EVS RS7 braces from a fellow TT'r and can't stand how they fit. Haven't ridden in them yet but walked with them on for about an hour. I have to pull the calf straps so tight that it cuts off my circulation. Otherwise it starts to slide down. Maybe I should have held out for a pair of the Asterisks. That's what I get for trying to save $$ on protection.

I got 'em and they are fine. :thumbsup: Wear the leg sock thing underneath them. Once you start riding, you'll forget they're on.

And they fit better than the prescription DonJoy (Defiance) one I got.

Do you have the Defiance III or the regular Defiance? Hmm, all this talk about the Asterisks is making me wonder if they are the way to go (vs. Defiance IIIs) since they're specifically made for riding bikes. My old custom brace (forget which brand) always slipped and it sucked. Hmm...

sk8rider,

I pm-ed ya.

I think I got the regular Defiance. Brace just says DonJoy on it.