Sign in to follow this  

2000 VOR 503 MX tech help, please. Steering tube removal.

I am trying to grease the bearings in the steering tube of a 2000 503 MX.

I am unable to drop the bottom clamp assembly out and gain acess to the bearings in the steer tube. I seems that there is a lock washer or something built-in on the upper bearings or upper race. Are the bearings threaded. Is there a tool or a way that I can get the bearings out? As it stands, there is no clearance to get a tool or grip to turn the the upper bearing... or whateverr is the part below the Dust cover that is holding the bearing in.

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

Due to the Italian quality and translation of the VOR manual it's not of much help in this and any sitution.

Other than this minor problem, usual gas and oil, it's the first thing I had to do on it for 3 years of riding. Same spark plug for 3 years. VORs ARE RELIABLE!

Thanks,

Utah VOR

Utah

After you have removed the top tripleclamp and the threaded washer just below (the washer you spin off using a punch) you will be able to tap the steering stem down and out of the tube with a soft face hammer. The VOR tolerances are very close so it is a little snug, but it will come apart when the visible nuts have been removed :thumbsup:

Thank you Dezracerd! I appreciate the reply.

I gave it a few soft knocks to see if it would budge down as you suggested already, no luck. However, I will have to dish out some "tough love" with the little sledge to get it to drop out. Tight clearances is right with this bike.

I sincerely apprecaite the help on this. I've got a ride to go on this weekend and didn't want to stiff steer that Vor around the dunes again.