Sign in to follow this  

Jetting an FCR-39 on an XR440

I have an 01 XR440 that the previous owner had bored into a 440, (he thinks it wasn't the wiseco, but not sure) and left otherwise bone stock. After buying it, I noticed it was running lean and hot. Went with the fcr-39 for the two-bird effect of jetting and power, but it is not quite as advertised... (pre-set/jet for my bike and elevation). I rode for about 20 mi, and have to turn down the idle to start it when hot, and it's producing more soot than seems right. Has anyone any experience with this mod? For anyone willing to help, thank you. I run 91 octane California pump gas, generally ride at about 2500', have the 440 bore, White Brothers Ovalized Supertrap style exhaust (the E-Series), smooth-ground header overwelds, air box snork removed, and a bunch of other unrelated minor mods that I won't bore you with... But would love to...

Im running the 170/55 combo, also have the 168/45 jets but were told they were for around 10,000'. Fuel screw out 1.5 turns. Also, I ride year-round and in temps varring form 40F to 100F, (hot now). Should I expect to change jetting seasonaly? About the carb, Im told that this is the set-up, came highly recomeded from several sources... hope I wasnt duped. (other than the jetting, huge improvements in throttle response, running temps, and mucho power gains overall.)

what needle?pilot air jet?main air jet?

check the acclerator pump duration as well.if its over 1.5 seconds you will need limit it.