Sign in to follow this  

thinking about JD jets.....Hick help me out....

what makes them so great. i know that everyone who has one is in love with it. how much difference will it make for me living at like 8000 feet. will i really be able to feel the differnce? my cousin has a 99 YZ400 and we both are thinking about them, so whats the big deal?

Hick......you seem to usually be the one who helps me with my jetting dilemas........ :devil::thumbsup:

The JD jet kit it's not the jets but the two custom made needles that makes the jet kit rock,I use the red one in my CRF 450 in the summer then when it cools off I go to the blue one,it makes it carburate so smooth and crisp,much better than stock,my two cents worth

I doubt you'll notice much power gains, but you WILL notice your bike running crisper, snappier, and just plain better then you thought possible. I'd like to add that you WILL feel that the mOney spent was some of the best mOney you've spent on your bike. :thumbsup:

right on, thats what i really want, is just for my bike to be snappier and more responsive. power isn't that big of an issue for me anymore. its not like i'll ever ride this thing to its limit anyway. but thanks for the responses guys. :thumbsup:

JD's kits come with his own custom needle profile, I've never seen one so I've no idea what they are like.

I will say that unless JD has a different needle for high altitude his kit may not be ideal. He definitely knows what he is doing, perhaps you should ask him how to jet your bike at your elevation (whether you use his kit or not).

I also don't know much about the '04 jetting, they have a different type of needle than my '03, w/ multiple or stepped tapers or something. Honda offers several optional needles for the '04, one of which is surely designed for your altitude, but unlike the '03 I don't know how to interpret the needle codes.

Getting away from the needles the rest of jetting is just brass jets, and you will be needing some smaller ones.

If your jetting is still stock, before you buy any kit I would strongly suggest you drop the needle you have at least 2 clips, and go at least two sizes smaller on main and pilot jets.

Installing a JD needle and jetting designed for sea level, more or less, at your altitude is going to be very far removed from ideal jetting for your bike.

Hope this helps.