Sign in to follow this  

Why to bleed fork air valves

What is the purpose of bleeding the air valves in your forks after you ride? Or should you do it like half way through a ride? Please educate me on this.

Some of the reasoning behing bleeding the forks is after the forks have heated up from riding the resulting pressure can make the forks harsh.

Bleed air from forks before you ride....think of it the same way a bag of chips gets when you change altitude or temperature (heat). The bag of chips blows up like a balloon - even tho its a sealed unit. Same thing is happening inside your forks - which can cause a harsh ride -

Be careful to release from air-bleed screw and not the screw in the center. The center screw is rebound on most forks - on a crf450 the center screw is compression.

Bleed air from forks before you ride....

i open up the screws and i dont get any air anymore?? sometimes a little on the right side - is this normal???

jeff :thumbsup:

What do you mean??? :thumbsup: Hopefully you are "backing out" the screw, then "tightening" it back down. Sometimes you don't get air out (at least that you can hear) - other times you hear a "hissing" noise.

Sometimes you don't get air out (at least that you can hear) - other times you hear a "hissing" noise.

when the suspension was first done i could here the hissing every time i backed the screws out (both sides) - now i open them and most of the time i here nothing and sometimes a little bit on the right side only :thumbsup: is this right?

thanks,

jeff

There is no set in stone time for bleeding off air. Do it every cpl rides and if you don't get much, you can go a little longer. If you get a lot, do it more. It's an air spring and can sometimes help if the forks are a hair soft. If they feel stiff and you can't corner then sometimes letting the air out with the bike standing on it's own weight works good. Seems the CRF450 likes it best that way most times.

doc

Am using motion pro bleed values, just press the value :thumbsup: When getting ready to ride in the mountains I release the positive pressure & when I get back to some what sea level, the neg. pressure. Can hear it from both forks.