Sign in to follow this  

Steering Damper?

Steering dampers basically help keep trail nasties from suddenly deflecting your front tire and throwing you on the ground. So if this is a problem you may want one! They are not really for motocrossers who want quick handling and rarely encounter roots and large rocks just below the surface. But if you ride long offroad enduros and spend a lot of time looking at your instruments and signs and scenery they help keep the bars in your hands and reduce fatigue somewhat. I read that the Scotts is best for motocrossers who may want to dial out its effect for moto. I have the GPR which was fine on my Husaberg but was too stiff even at low settings on my 250X. So I had GPR put in lower weight oil and it's fine now. The X just handles so beautifully that I did'nt want to feel as much damping, but I do run higher settings in enduros to be safer. Eric

If they are not for moto-x'ers why do RC and Kevin Windham use them.I have been using a scotts for moto-x for years and i can tell you from experience that thay work.They keep you from swapping going thru deep woops keep you straight on breaking bumps and deep sand it is great.All i can say if you ride either trails or moto-x buy one,they are worth the money.

My friend had the Scotts damper on his KTM 450EXC. I could not believe it worked so well until I tried it! He sold the bike but kept the damper, he got today his new '05 400EXC and will clamp it on there. I have had a -03 525SX and my broken ribs know KTM:s give headshake. :thumbsup:

I had a Scotts on my DRZ400 and it was just awesome. My new (to me) CRF250X has a WER stabilizer. I plan to ride tomorrow for the first time on the bike so I don't know how the WER compares. Here in the New England woods, stabilizers are great for guys without a lot of experience like me. Probably 60% of the guys I ride with here in Massachusetts have one.