Sign in to follow this  

spark plug color

I changed spark plugs the other day. First time as I bought the bike used. My plug was black from the threads to the tip of the plug. :confused:I filed away the carbon (I'm old school) and will use it as a spare. Gap was around .30 so within specs of Suz. manual.

Question is, based on the plug color, am I running way too rich or what? Shouldn't plug be relatively colorless to light brown?

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Burned, thanks for the response.

I didn't know that it would matter what jetting. I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea. :thumbsup: I bought the bike used and it came with a yosh slip on. That was it. Remember, I'm a novice when it comes to this bike. Thanks to you guys though, I've disassembled the steering stems and swing arms and regreased them. I guess I'll have to open my manual up and look at prev. posts to see how to get the carb open. Pardon my ignorance but, do the jets have the size written on them?

Is it necessary to get any new items (gaskets, etc) prior to my opening the carb up?

As always, you rock! :devil:

Thanks and regards

Paul

Paul,, no parts should be needed to pull the carb and check the jetting. You have the BSR35 Mikuni carb on your bike. The plastic top comes off, and you must gently reach into the slide and pull straight up on the needle retainer.. If the needle has only one clip position,, it is stock.. if it has several clip positions, it is aftermarket,, take note of the clip position (counted from the top ) and the placement and number of spacers and washers above and below the clip. Next, remove the float bowl. The screws will be tight,, you must use a good screwdriver to get them loose,,,lots of pressure. A impact driver will break them free .. Most replace theses screws with socket head cap screws.

Look at what size you have for the pilot (long one ) and the main jet (short round one )