Honda CRF450X coming - DRZ has some competition!

Honda might have something going. It will take some time though. The first year is always in need of tweaks and revisions. Personally, I hope it does put Suzuki in high gear when it comes to the DRZ. I have only 3 complaints about my S model. It's too heavy, the suspension is way too soft, and last but most importantly it drastically needs a 6th gear. This is not available on the 2005 model but I hope it comes in the 2006. As soon as it does I am trading in my 04!

Check it out in the CRF450r forum. Kinda expensive but it should make Suzuki do some updates. What do you think?

What do we think? I think it's going to eat valves like all their

other recent machines. I think it's gas and oil capacity will be

too small for any decent rides and with the smaller oil capacity,

dual-sporting is going to be brutal on that motor.

I think it's a wait and see. IF Honda is smart, they'll build it

similar to the DRZ as the DRs are just rock-solid reliable.

yesh I hear stories about 250x valves..... that sucks. i ride the crap out of my DRZ. it takes a lickin and keeps on rockin .

My 03 was $5200 out the door last year at this time year end clearance.. that CRF450X the msrp is 6999.00 - so out the door $7500.......... ?

its not really the valve material that cuases it.its the valve train dynamics.closing velocity,cam profiles,etc....

every one that wanted crf/rmz/kxf got what they wished for!a 4 stroke that beats a 2 stroke.not sure why they get all upset about having to maintian them.valves for a 4 stroke,pistons for a 2 stroke...... ?

if the rev limiter was cut way down and they used a xr400 profile cam in a crf they would have no valve issues. :devil:

If Honda made a street legal version of the 450x, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. My CRF has been every bit as reliable as my DRZ, you just have to maintain it properly.

my personal crf 450 has been thru 2 sets of intake valves and springs this season!i assure you no body is anal about maintanence than me.

the bike is being ridden by a local fast moto-xer,flattracker,supermoto kid.it spends its life as designed......WFO!

i change the oil every time its run,as well air filter service and valve check.everytime!i replace the intakes9with full valve job) as soon as they move that way im not standing there looking shocked that the bike wont start.

i see it all the time! :devil:?:awww:

he picks the bike up saturday night and returns it to me monday morning.every week,with out fail or hes out.

my personal crf 450 has been thru 2 sets of intake valves and springs this season!i assure you no body is anal about maintanence than me.

the bike is being ridden by a local fast moto-xer,flattracker,supermoto kid.it spends its life as designed......WFO!

Sounds like you've got the maintenance down... ? My CRFs got two seasons on the stock valves, no problems, but I'm definitely not fast enough to ride a 450 WFO all the time. More like 10% of the time! :devil:

My point is that most of the TT crowd seems to focus on that one maintenance issue when talking about the CRF, but they miss the bigger picture. The CRF450 is by far the best closed course bike I've ever ridden. The suspension, handling, and suspension are all superb in stock form for my riding level (35+ :awww:. In the past, I've always switched from bike to bike every year or two, but this year I'll be buying another CRF450 because I just can't imagine riding MX on something different now. I really hope the 450X is just as amazing.

you really can't compare a motocross bike to a trail bike..

You should be comparing the xr400 to the drz400.

The CRF450"x" IS a trail bike

Actually, what sort of trail bike as a 2.2-gallon tank?

I think it's meant to be a race bike.

If you read their WEBSITE , it says it's a trail machine, but watch the VIDEO and they

say that's meant for racing/competition at least three times!

You can also see what the Cycle News Article had to say about it...

Eddie, are you using Honda valves or have you tried aftermarket stuff like the kibblewhites? I think I will be staying with the titanium units, but have been thinking of steel. ? It looks like springs are a tad expensive too! At least if you buy the pro circuit units! :devil:

ive used one set of each.the first time i did the kibblewhite set up and they didnt last much longer than the first set.im using oem stuff currently.