Sign in to follow this  

A TT must see, "Dust to Glory" movie review

We (GP Kings) just got back from the first showing, Industry only, of Dana Brown's "Dust to Glory".

D2Gfilm Trailer

IT WAS AWESOME!!! :lol:

This film gave me the same feeling I got when I saw Bruce Brown's "On Any Sunday", it's that good. Dana really captured the emotion of the Baja with this film.

Several times I caught myself gasping in awe, or getting Goosebumps as you see how these people tackle the 1000 hard miles, it really is amazing. Everyone who rides a bike must see this film.

This event was held at The Grove Theater in Anaheim CA. A real nice venue that usually host concerts and corporate events, they had food and a full bar.

Advanstar publications kicked off the night with a launch of a new Off Road Magazine called DirtSports. They also gave out awards to Influential People in the Industry, one was Robby Gorden. Many big names were in the house including: Ricky Johnson, Robby Gorden, Ivan Stewart, Bruce Brown, Mike McCoy and Walker Evens just to name a few. Other bigwigs from several large Org's were there also including SCORE and 4 Wheel Parts, Bilstein and BFG Tire. They had several Off Road buggies and Trucks at the front of the venue as you were walking in, and the parking lot itself was a off-road truck show, geez every truck had every aftermarket trick in the book. We also ended up with some cool swag including D2G T-shirts, posters and more.

Just a little hint from the movie: Mouse McCoy is BADASS!

The movie comes out in "Spring" of 05.

It's a must see! :thumbsup::devil::awww:

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0022.JPG

On Stage: Mouse McCoy, Dana Brown, Robby Gorden

www.GPKings.com

You DOG!!! I've been watching the trailer all year long!

Spring '04, Fall '04....now it's Spring '05? :thumbsup:

You should taken the video cam and pirated us a copy! :devil:

:awww::lol::devil::D:thumbsup::D

I have been waiting for this movie to come out for months. You mean to tell me I have to wait until the spring of NEXT YEAR? The trailer is so awesome. I really can't wait. Sounds like you attended a great event. Thanks for rubbing it in :lol:

Fryboy

From the trailer, I was under the impression it was going be a 'One any Sunday; 2004 edition', but the movie is made "in asociation with Score International" and its of the Baja 1000 with trucks, buggies, bikes and even those Class 11 stock bugs. At first I thought I was going to be disapointed. Well, I needed not worry. While it ain't no 'On Any Sunday' (as far as bikes only), there isn't any other movie that comes close to this! It does follow the duel between Cambell and Grier through the whole film and McCoy is featured. It's about 60% bikes.

There are sceens in the movie that had all in attendance gasping at the same time followed immediately by a cheer. At times I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat.

Imagine a million dollar Trophy Truck blasting down a narrow dirt road lined with hundreds spectators who just barely get out of the way before the truck launches off a jump, and you can tell the truck never lifts off the gas :awww:. That’s crazy. And for a 1000 miles, no less. I think the truck and buggy stuff just added to the film.

And that ‘Mouse’ guy, he is absolutely nuts. Soloing the whole thing and trying to podium, not just ‘finish’ the Baja 1000…. crazy.

The film features awesome helmet cam footage and some of the in-car stuff makes you hold on to your seat. 55 cameras were used to cover the whole race.

To sum up the film, I’d say it’s trying to capture the passion these racers have for the Baja 1000; being a Trophy truck/Unlimited buggy racer or a total low budget effort who tows their car there on a flat bed, it doesn’t matter as long as you're there in Baja.

This film will do for the off-road community what 'On Any Sunday' did for the motorcycle community.

I will definitely add this to my DVD collection when it comes out. While Brown did say the he was still working on some parts, I didn't hear when the release date was going to be so I must have been at the bar at that time.

Final thought..... :thumbsup::devil::D:lol:

GAR :lol:

Gar, Chaz, we had a great time last night...thanks to Chaz for the insider hook up for the Grand Prix Kings! :thumbsup:

My summation of the movie is this:

The movie follows the great tradition of Bruce Brown films with his son Dana Brown making this film. I personally really appreciated and respected the fact that Dana followed the same format in making the film that his dad Bruce did in On Any Sunday and Endless Summer and other films. Instead of trying to break free from the Brown legacy and start his own approach to film making, Dana instead followed in the footsteps of his great father and narrated the film in classic Brown fashion. The timing and one liners that Dana pulls off in his narration will have you smiling at all the right times.

You can say with conviction that this film is one that transcends generations and most importantly unites the offroad racing community. No matter what type of racing interest you may have - be it, truck, buggy, dirt bike, quad, you will be captivated and entertained by this movie.

A few things that really stood out and grabbed me personally about the film was the references to the similarities between life and the Baja 1000. How the Baja is so powerful and consuming that it parallels life in its challenges, risk and rewards, and humility. Having minimal interest in the Baja 1000 prior to this film I now have a overwelming desire to at the very least spectate this event! I believe this film some how captured some of the mystic, and spirit of the Baja 1000.

The cinematography is second to none. Like Garhead mentioned 55 cameras to make the film. The in cab and helmet camera footage is incredible. It seems like every racing class got it's fair share of exposure, but for me personally, the dirt bike scenes with Mouse McCoy was unforgettable. I don't want to give away too much but that Mouse McCoy is some kind of super human. I pump up and almost collapse after a 45 minute Grand Prix at Glen Helen. This guy held it wide open for 1000 miles in the open desert!! :awww::devil:

In closing...Somehow, I feel like a better rider today having seen it last night. Take your family, friends to see it. No one will leave disappointed.

/\/\\/\/

I saw the trailer when it first came out and haven't heard anything since - I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE IT!!

Too bad we have to wait until spring :thumbsup: - it would be great to be able to see it earlier!! :devil::awww:

It played at 'The Grove' in Anahiem for an industry sneek preview in cordination with the launch of a few new magazines focusing on the Off-road racing community. One night only.

One of the new mags is called 'Dirt Sports', with covers SCORE, CORR, BITD, and rock crawling events.

'Dirt Sports' had a little article about 'D2G' and stated it was due out in the "spring of 2004" :thumbsup:. The movie is going to be distributed by IFC (My Big Fat Greek Wedding & that 9/11 movie)

Thanks, also, Chaz for hooking-up the Kings :awww:

GAR :devil:

p.s. Chaz, you left out what kind of spark plug you use in your sig.

Just saw the trailer, and all I can say is "Holy S HIT! WOW!" :thumbsup::lol: :lol: :devil::awww::lol::D:lol::D That is gonna be one bad-a ss movie. I can't wait to see it!! That guy McCoy has gotta be balls to tha wall is he tries all 1000 by himself :D:snore::awww::lol: :lol: :lol:

I CAN"T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE

Funny, I was just going to post a new thread about "whatever happened to that Dust to Glory flick :thumbsup: I haven't posted in awhile and did a search and found this thread (saved an embarrasing RE-POST reply :D ) My cousin is supposed to be in the flick, he was at the Baja 1000 a couple years ago when they were filming and he and a couple other guys were blasting through a water crossing on XR650Rs on wheelies at speed :lol: and a cameraman asked them to do it again so he could film it. So, unless it ended up on the cutting room floor :devil: I wanna see it :awww: