Sign in to follow this  

Are all boots offer the same protection?

Since my latest ankle injury, I'm thinking of getting new boots (mine is two years old already). My current boot is the Fox Forma Pro. The comfort level is fantastic.

Nowadays,do all the major boots for motocross protect the ankles at the same level?

Fox Stewart replica's here, but if i had the money to blow i would be in a pair of Alpinestar due to the foot insert that acts as an ankle cushion or dampnr.

No. They're not all the same. The higher end boots offer more ankle protection. I've been wearing Alpinestars Tech 8s for years, but I just ordered a set of Oxtar TCX Competition boots last night. They have a plastic shell with a hinged ankle, a sole that's said to last, and no bootie. Those were the things I was after, and it only cost me the price of a mid-range boot, $239

For that price, the other companies' boots don't give you the hinged ankle. FYI.

You might want to look at the Sidi Force. I did a lot of research before I bought mine because of an ankle problem. IMHO they offered the best protection. I also here that the Gaerne SG10 is very good. It uses the same protection principal as the Sidi Force. There is a review of this boot on Transworldmotocross.com

Laidback926

By the Sidi Force. Nothing compares to it. I did miss a few shifts when I first put them on but only for a few hours.

No. They're not all the same. The higher end boots offer more ankle protection. I've been wearing Alpinestars Tech 8s for years, but I just ordered a set of Oxtar TCX Competition boots last night. They have a plastic shell with a hinged ankle, a sole that's said to last, and no bootie. Those were the things I was after, and it only cost me the price of a mid-range boot, $239

For that price, the other companies' boots don't give you the hinged ankle. FYI.

Where did you get them for that price? I paid $270 OTD!

Sidi Force for me as well - everything else feels like bathroom slippers compared to these!

I got them at MXSouth.com I think they're even a few $$ cheaper at Caparral, but Caparral was COMPLETELY sold out of them. Not too shabby of a price for the quality.

In the last few days, I've seen new Thor and even Fly boots that looked like far better quality than they've ever made in the past. I guess the days of one boot being king are over. There are probably 6 companies who are making acceptable quality boots now at different price ranges. Options are good to have. Wear what suits ya. :thumbsup:

Here's an interesting link to read about boots. I've had Sidi's, Tech 8's, & SG1's over the last several years and I like my Sidi's and SG's the best. My wife & oldest son wear Tech 6's and my youngest wears Sidi. If I was going to buy a new boot, I'd be seriously looking at the Sidi's and the newer Gaerne SG10's.

Check out this link for an interesting report regarding "Mechanical Properties of Modern Off-Road Motorcycle Riding Boots".

http://www.teamorthopedics.com/boots.html

I've got Sidi Force SRS, Gaerne SG10, and 'stars 6 & 8. Of all these boots the SG10's have the strongest ankle protection. The Sidi's are more comfortable and have more ankle protection than the Alpinestars. The Sidi's did take some massive lever adjustments. My wife was running the SG10's but opted for standard boots and 661 ankle braces instead. Didn't like the feel of the boots. :thumbsup:

Wore the soles out on the Tech 6's, no ankle support though.

End result was the Sidi's.