Sign in to follow this  

Bring Back the XR's

Who here agrees with me that changing the XR name to CRF was a waste of time. All they've done is changed the plastics, graphics etc, and discontinued one of the best bike names ever. Cause technically aint they stil the same underneath. Love to hear your guys thoughts on this one.

John

I agree, just bought some for the kids. Don't make sence to me cause the mechanicals of them are still old technology. Granted, well tested and dependable. I guess its just there way of trying to make the un informed think they are making improved changes on engine and such.

They did change the rake and trail of the 100, for the better.

It's steeper and easier to ride.

:thumbsup:

As a person ages, as I hope we all continue to do, it becomes harder to accept change. The old saying "if it ain't broken don't mess with it" seems to ring true.

However if you look at the timeline of the XR's you have to ask yourself, how long could Honda have continued updating newer model XR's by just changing the color of the frame, plastics and seat, while trying to sell us a new model with "newly designed graphics?"

By changing the name and overall design of the old XR and making it out to be something new, we at least get the benefit of having the aftermarket companies scramble to make all of these cool parts avalible that they had previously disregarded because of the lack of interest in the old XR models.

Just my 2 cents.....Karl

"Always the optimist, all the while reminding myself there is light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's only another train "

Great to hear what you guys all think, I am also wondering how Honda kept the XR's goin all that time without many changes. I spose they were just ahead of there time. I used to like the XR 200's reliability because it was so basic but now that they've gone and put Electric start etc (CRF230) theres just more stuff to break. They didnt even give us a back up kickstart.

John

Great to hear what you guys all think, I am also wondering how Honda kept the XR's goin all that time without many changes. John

Plain and simply, it is a good solid and well built little machine that

just about anyone that can balance a bike can ride, and quite easily too.

It's quite like the old Volkwagen Beetle... you can do anything to them and it will be accepted.

Great bike. We'll be sad to sell ours when the kid grows out of it.

Gotta use the $$'s for the next bike.

We've also been talking about turning the 100 into a Super-moto bike.

Or a chopper.

Just kidding...

..about the chopper.

Two items with the CRF100 vs XR100

1) The CRF has no brush handguard. Hey it's a trailbike, should have the guards.

2) The CRF100 is not as tall. I have a 2003 XR100 for my daughter. Her friend has a 2004 CRF100. The XR sits higher.

My daughter has riden both and feels that the CRF is a little lighter. She says she notices this when jumping the CRF. However, she says that the XR handles better when landing the the same jump.

This is a riders opinion. She likes the XR better because it's hers. :thumbsup::devil:

Yeah I reacon that with a bit of thinking Honda could have changed every that they did (plastics, tank, electric start etc.) and still kept them XR's. And mabye should have not messed with the shocks like what needspayer said.

JOhn

My XR100 which I still have. Its a good bike, escpecially for begginers. But after alittle while, like myself, I am always looking for that extra power to climb. Other than that its a great trails bike. Escpecially those handguards. :thumbsup:

1) The CRF has no brush handguard. Hey it's a trailbike, should have the guards.

Was at the dealer today buying oil. We noticed no handguards on the new CRF100's. Seems strange they would remove the guards, wimpy as they are. I replaced the kids with the black Acerbis Rally Brush guards anyway. They hold up much better when he loops the 100. He seems to do that more these days. Something about those reeeeeally steep hills he's now climbing! :thumbsup:

I pitty dealers trying to explain which bike is right for a rider.

You change 1 letter or number and the bike is completely different.

CRF230F

CR250R

CRF250R

CRF250X

XR250R

It could be like the modern "Who's on first" routine.

Customer: What's the most popular bike?

Dealer: That would be the "250 F".

Customer: How about this bike?

Dealer: No, that's a CR250R, you don't want that one. You want to see the "F".

Customer: Oh, the CRF250R? I want to trail ride.

Dealer: Then you want an "X", not the "R".

Customer: Did I tell you I am a beginner?

Dealer: Oh, you want the other F for family, not F for 4-stroke. Here is a CRF230F.

Customer: But I was told to get a 250? I want a 250, but not that 250, an F but not that F, an X, but not an R, now a 230, not a 250? I'm really confused.

Dealer: Let me show you this XR250R. It is has X and an R. It's a 250 to boot.

They should have put the new plastic on all the XR's and left the name XR.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/off-road/

Well there's your improvement...... Honda made the transmission stronger in the CRF230 by making the gears wider. The only way they could make the gears wider and have enough room was to remove the two gears used for the kick starter. The reliability of the electric start must have proven out as Honda tests the bejeezus out of their stuff(ones with a warranty) to make sure it won't break. Besides, the 230 is a new bike from the XR200. Completely redesigned and updated with much better ergo's and a long list of improvements. I don't think your statement about "just a name change" is relevant between the CRF230 and old school XR200. There are substantial changes. All for the better as well....

I agree strongly. Its not a racing bike so dont make it with a race name. I dont get it i think its bullcrap and more confusing.