Sign in to follow this  

Understanding the Extremes of fork tuning

I'm still trying to get a handle on what tuners think about when they are "designing" suspension for riders of various ability levels that would be riding the same track.

So, I was wondering if someone could kinda describe what would run through their heads if they were tasked with setting up forks for both Bubba and a 30 C/D rider at the same MX track.

well i do all my stuff "old school"-------i have to go and watch the guy ride his new stock bike and i take notes on were it is botteming hard at and were it deflects at --and then i have to ride the bike and kinda get a feel of what is going on-----i will try different chassis heights ---i really watch tire presure and how tightly or how loose the spokes are--( there is more suspension in the rubber tire and the wheels than you think)i keep the forks bleed at all times -----its a whole packedge-----------if the guy is a pounder and has no finess and picks bad lines, it is more difficult than if he is smooth,light on the bike and understands good lines and has timming ,---some times i have to work with him for 6 months at manny different tracks to get some solid set ups and keep the stuff fresh so he can realy take over and know what to do---------other times some of the guys are very good at keeping fresh tires on ( worn tires realy screw up anything you are trying to do) and can give me good feed back and it is not so bad-----the slower riders can be way harder to help, they hit everthing in the track, they have no timming and dont understand how important it is to keep new rubber on , spokes just so so , fresh fluid in the suspension and keep the chassis serviced and they dont undrestand braking and can get mad on why it takes so long to get faster ---------the bottem line is that i like to work with pro guys and ride with them because bike set up is fairly easy and everybody is on the same page ----its the slower guys that are out of shape and have not been into racing in years and dont relize the cost and constant mantenence and how hard and demanding the sport and tracks have become,--thoes can be hard to work with and take alot of time and working with them ,-------the bikes are realy good now and tailored after faster riders,----the slower the rider the more you have to detune the bike to where he can feel comfotable on it --------so it is different in every case -----i know its hard but just keep going --try one change and take notes .

Well, I certainly wouldn't have thought tires and spokes had anything much to do with suspension.

Interesting that you mention the tire pressure however.

My last race I got concerned that my rear tire was going flat (a problem I'm having lately since I got KO'd because I didn't listen to my gut a while back) and new if I didn't do something about it, I was not going to ride hard.

Ultimately I decided to bump up the pressure to 14 psi (normally I had been running 11 or so) and it seemed like my bike rode better. I was always of the impression that you wanted to the least amount of pressure possible without getting a flat for TRACTION purposes. I'm thinking now that that may be true, however, at the sacrifice of some handling maybe. I can't say for absolutely certain that it helped with my jumping (getting squirelly off faces) & landing (not as hard or feeling like it's going more towards bottoming) but my gut tells me that something felt more right about the higher pressures.

Curious as to your thoughts on this.

While you're talking tires etc., Sometime back, I decided to run the 250 2 smoke size tire on my 250F after reading some stuff on here about others doing it. I don't think it's cut my performance any and I BELIEVE it's helped me get out of the hole faster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the other info too. As always you've given me plenty to think about.

By the way, I think the 2.5 weight oil (from the 5wt) made things a little plusher for me up top in the stroke. So far I can't put my finger on any downside.

Eddie