Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F Chain Question

The manual says "A drive chain with a clip-type master link must not be used." It doesn't say why.

I just changed the front sproket on my wifes bike and there seems to be plenty of room in front of the chain/sprocket and between the chain/case.

Does anyone have an answer to this and is it ok to put a master link chain on this bike?

There's people on this forum that have put on a ERT chain. Honda must be fulla crap.

Does anyone have an answer to this and is it ok to put a master link chain on this bike?

The short answer?

it's to make you think the dealer has to do all the maintenance

Apparently I didnt read that.

The bike has had a clip on it for about 6 months, no problem.

Dont the two chains have exactly the same dimentions, just the pins are different and the fact that one of them has a clip?

Not to mention the o-ring...

I replaced the chain and sprockets on my 230 over a year ago and installed an RK 520 X-ring chain, with master link. There are no clearance problems. I think that the factory can save a few pennies when they use an "endless" chain. If you are ready to replace your stock chain, you will need a chain breaker tool to remove it,(my recommended way) or if your handy with a grinder and chisel, heck, you could even use a cutting torch if your careful.......

Anyone here been riding long enough to remember that spare master link clipped on to your clutch cable about an inch from the perch?....Karl

Been ridin' since 1969. First bike, Honda CT70 Minitrail. I remember guy's sportin' the extra links on their clutch cables........