Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Rad Shroud Bolt

I have a situation here I am not sure what to do with. I bought my bike and stripped the custom graphics off. When I put the right rad shroud back on I over tightened the lowest bolt and the nut it screws into broke loose and rotates with the bolt now. :thumbsup: It is secure (not much play anyway) but I may need to remove it at some point.

I tried grabbing the bolt with vise grips and pulling and turning and I tried a socket while I pryed the shoud out at the base of the bolt and have had no luck. Any ideas how to do this ? Hope I have described it well enough for you to understand what I am talking about.

The next stage might be to drill the bolt out. Anyone know if it is soild plastic at that point on the tank or do I risk puncturing the tank ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

WE USED SOME CEMENT AND FORCED TO AROUND THE NUT

TO ALLOW US TO GET ONE OFF THAT WE HAD OVER TIGHTENED

JB WELD?? I THINK

WHEN IT DRIED ---- IT WAS GOOD AS NEW

THE NEXT DAY

My radiator shroud bolts were seized when I tried to take my shrouds off. I ended up drilling all 4 of them out. I started with a smaller bit and just a little at a time to ensure I didn't go too far through. Just don't go crazy and you should be fine.

Dont you guys check the color of your spark plugs once in awil to know if youre to lean or not enouf for your getting??????

to get to the plug you need to take one of the shroud bolt out !! and Jesus dont tight the bolts that tight !! :thumbsup: yep i would also glue it in place to get it out or epoxy it in place and dont tight the bolt that tight next time

Sorry for the premature post, JB Weld looks like a the answer here. The problem I see is actually getting it around the nut in a way that will prevent it from cementing the nut and the bolt together. How did you do this ?

Good luck with the glueing.... And remember to check your plug for the correct getting :thumbsup:

You can get your plug out with out taking anything off except for the coil cap. All you need is a socket extension and a angle thingy(duno the real name).

YY4U, I sort of encountered the same problem that you are going through right now. Mine was not on the shroud, but on the fuel petcock. I bought a used YZF tank and was stripping off my hardware to put on the new tank. I was trying to break the last bolt loose on the tank when the brass insert let loose, come to find out later, it was cross threaded from the factory. Anyway, this is what i would do, i suggest this because i have already been through this and know how the insert is set up in the tank. If you drill it out, you stand a chance of never getting the insert out and you MUST remove it in order to fix it and by the way, JB weld will not work, trust me... Been there, done that.

The brass insert is about half an inch to three quarters of an inch long with the last quarter of it being contoured and the top part fluted. The pocket that the thing sits in is contoured, actually has a internal lip in the plastic that completely conforms to the shape of the insert and this makes it a [@#$%&*!] to get out and a bigger pain to get back in.

You will have to take vise grips or something else of that nature and get a good grip on the bolt and then proceed to curse and swear until it finally relents and pops out turning the internal lip that the lower portion sits in inside out. Do not even think that you can just fill it with quick dry epoxy and force the insert back in there, the internal lip will have to be cut away using great care with a dremel tool. Once you have it prepped, fill with your favorite 2 part quick dry epoxy and beat it back into the tank with a rubber mallet and let it cure.

I tried JB weld on the advice of a friend and ended up removing the insert again, cleaning everything up and then starting over. Common sense should have told me that JB weld will not adhere to plastic.....

i used jb weld where my bolt cross threaded into the radiator nut on my ktm and would just spin no matter what we did to hold it to get it out --- not onto the plastic tank --

sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

I know it is a little late to say this know. But ANTI-SIEZE all the bolts that go into the tank. And also all the steel bolts that thread into aluminum. You will thank yourself latter. :thumbsup: