Sign in to follow this  

New Thumperette Rider

Ladies,

Greetings from Jackson Hole. Wyo. I am trying to get my girlfriend into riding so that she can TRULY understand just how much fun riding really is. I have a couple of questions to pose for you:

1) Which bike? I am thinking of a TTR 125 or an older XR 200

she weighs about 125 and is 5'4" and has NEVER ridden.

2) First days- Tell me how you learned :thumbsup:. I learned to ride when I was about 7 or 8 and had no fear of falling or breaking bones etc.

We have several areas nearby that have some wide open spots, staging areas, dirt parking lots, mud flats etc in the area. I want her to have FUN and like to ride but my fear is that she will get scared or hurt. We all know falling is part of the deal but I want to try to minimize this until she is well into the learning curve. Ther is a group of women who ride in the area and once I get her going she will have a good group to ride with. Infact I ride with this same group and the go and go fast!!!

Any suggestions would be great!!

• Like 1

Well there have been a lot of post regarding which bikes to get. I started riding about 3 years ago. I am 5'4" & about 125lbs. At that time I was trying to decide between the XR200 and the TTR125. Everybody I talked to said I would grow out of the TTR too quick, so I got a 97 XR200. The bike felt very heavy to pick up, but didn't feel bad while I was moving. I think this was a great bike to learn on. I thought I would never outgrow the bike. I never outgrew the power, but I found myself feeling pretty beat up the harder I tried to to ride. The suspension is not met to endure a lot of harshness. I was bottoming out the bike all the time. After a year, I got my KX100 and have been very happy with the better suspension, brakes, and much lighter. I can ride it much faster.

The best advice I can give you is to have your girlfriend sit on the bikes and see which one feels comfortable for her. The TTR125L, CRF150, XR200, CRF230 all have very mellow smooth power that would be great for any beginning rider. Just know that she may outgrow the smaller bore bikes eventually, but in the meantime she will be learning and having fun.

Your fear of her getting scared or hurt is valid. I rode a handful of times when I was a kid, but I really did the bulk of my learning as an adult. I was so surprised how nervous I was my first time out. For about 1 year 1/2 I would immediatly feel so nervous, I almost felt sick to my stomach. It would sometimes take me an hour into the ride to start feeling comfortable. It was strange. I talked to a guy friend that started about a year or so after me and he said he had the same feeling for a while in the begining. I'm glad it wasn't just me. I think my first fall was almost a relief. I was riding slow because I was learning, I fell, and I was okay. Riding is dangerous and we all get hurt. I just hope I can be lucky enough to have minimal injuries. Just have her take it slow and chances are the falls won't be bad. My first time at Stoneyford in the mud, I fell about 15 times. I wasn't hurt, but I sure was tired. :thumbsup:

I have a DRZ125L. I've been riding for about 2 years. 5'3" and I wish I was 125lbs. :thumbsup:

Make it fun for her. Get ALL of the protective gear. DO NOT FORCE HER TO RIDE BEYOND HER ABILITIES. Take things at her pace. Take time to explain technique to her. Start off in a field. Be a gentleman and help her when she needs it. Make sure she stays adequately hydrated. Don't plan trips with no bathroom during her period!!! (my husband ALWAYS does that!!)

If the option of buying used bikes had been available to me I think I would have gone the route of a used TTR125L (or LE) at first and then moved up to the CRF230 (no other practical choice for my wt, ht and $$). I don't think the TTR would have lasted me too long but it sure would have made learning EVEN easier (the wt is so darn light).

I went the route of buying a new CRF150 and I'm really happy with it as well but know I need to move up in power abit within the next year but love the fit of the bike. I can't justify losing the money on selling the bike (only 1 year old) to buy a CRF230 as I'm not convinced that the CRF230 is a perfect choice. If I could have bought a used 1st bike I probably wouldn't be quite as concerned with the move up to the CRF230 or if I could find a used one.

CRF150, TTR125 (or similar) are all great fun choices to start on, I think. The 230 is proably great to start on as well but I still think a lighter bike is nicer, if the option is there.

... Tell me how you learned ...

I want her to have FUN and like to ride ...

for a beginner a bike with button is a lot easier than a kick-only thumper

I will not suggest a bike, Velo might live up to his promise :thumbsup:

put you girl in full protective gear! no matter if she is protesting, just tell her she looks great in all that plastic, jhteneyck

keep her on solid, level ground until she is firm on usage of clutch, brakes and throttle,

keep it slow, figure-8's, standing on the bike, getting on and off while rolling, lock the back brake on grass or gravel, side saddle, kneeling on the seat ... all slow, getting used to ballance and learn to feel the bike as an extended part of her, I think it is not only about skill but about attitude as well, the bike must become her favourite "tool" and she must be eager to try more, faster, tougher, then she is ready for track or trail and some inevitable bruises, too

Try a motorcycle safety class, if there is one in your area. It's a very safe, well-organized, non-threatening learning environment. I think it's very difficult to learn to ride from a boyfriend or husband--tempers can snap quickly. The MSF class is designed for street, but the basics are the same. They will teach clutch use, brake use, etc. as if nobody in the class has ever even SEEN a motorcycle before. I took it well after I had started riding because I was doing an article on what it was like, but I still came away with lots of good info (especially because I want to ride street someday). It was only $50 and they provide the bikes.

what do you mean:

because I want to ride street someday

:awww::thumbsup::devil:

I think she means she doesn't have a street legal bike, fiep, and probably isn't licensed for street either... lots of people over here only do one or the other. Probably becasue some states make it such a pain to make a good off-road bike street legal! (I know CA does!) So she probably wants to get her license and a street bike somewhere down the line (go for it, firecracker, I road street YEARS before dirt, and it has its own thrill, for sure! :lol:)

And the class she's referring to teaches you street 'techniques', more than dirt techniques... plus rules of the road, so you can pass the written test to get your license, AND what you need to know to take your motorcycle road 'test' (where you actually ride the bike through certain situations and someone watches & grades you).

Does that help? (And sorry if I put words in your mouth, firecracker! :D Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood!)

:lol:

thank you, learning2fly

since getting a 'motorcycle also' on your license was so cheap

and at home except on an mx track you need to have a license matching your bike ... plus unless on an mx track your bike has to be streetlegal and have a plate ...

I never waisted a thought someone riding off road would not have a license :thumbsup:

I still need to take the test at the licensing office to get my endorsement on my license.

Also, I can't afford a street bike just yet. Maybe next year I can start looking for a clean, used CBR600 or something along those lines. They seem to have a solid reputation. For a first bike it doesn't really matter TOO much what it looks like, but I definitely want a sport bike.

Problem is, I also want a third dirt bike, and a snowmobile too! I can't afford any of my toys!

Even though my KTM has license plates, I would never want to put very many miles on it on pavement; it's just not built for that, and not very comfortable.

Even though my KTM has license plates, I would never want to put very many miles on it on pavement; it's just not built for that, and not very comfortable.

Hey FC, remember I mentioned that my hubby got his bike registered as well? Well, he got a registered letter last month from ICBC (our insuring body) revoking the registration saying that the 450EXC isn't street legal. You got your's in on the "street legal rating technciality" too, didn't you?

• Like 1

Basically, they will issue plates for KTMs since they don't say "For off road use only" on the certificate of origin. So, there is no true legal reason not to license them. But in some places they are starting to be more strict about it. Once you have a plate, it is much harder to take it back. My friend Nick has a KX500 with license plates that they haven't taken away for years so I'm not too worried about it.

That sucks they took your hubby's registration away.

Make it fun for her. Get ALL of the protective gear. DO NOT FORCE HER TO RIDE BEYOND HER ABILITIES. Take things at her pace. Take time to explain technique to her. Start off in a field. Be a gentleman and help her when she needs it. Make sure she stays adequately hydrated. Don't plan trips with no bathroom during her period!!! (my husband ALWAYS does that!!)

I DO NOT PLAN TRIPS ON YOUR PERIOD!!! I plan trips, and your period coincides! :devil:

Maybe you should just try holding it off until after the trip... :thumbsup:

My suggestion is get something small like a CRF150/TTR125/DRZ125/KLX125 because they are so easy to ride and at 5"4 she will be able to reach the ground which is important when you're learning. The other thing to remember is don't get her anything she cant push properly or pick up if it falls - whats the point? If she is having difficulty or freaking out get on the back with her and do some or all of the controls so she can get used to what the 'power' is like. Skills skills skills, i found when I was learning (and still do) that the better my basic skills are the better I can ride on the track.

Hope this is helpful. :thumbsup:

I DO NOT PLAN TRIPS ON YOUR PERIOD!!! I plan trips, and your period coincides! :devil:

Maybe you should just try holding it off until after the trip... :awww:

Hey, what are you doing posting as ME!!! Well, we all know one way to not have a period for 9 months. :thumbsup:

haha! Its been confirmed girls - the fastest way to get the guys off the thumpette forum (if we ever need to) - talk about periods!! Excellent! :thumbsup::devil::awww:

• Like 1