Sign in to follow this  

What could cause a sudden no start?

I went to the track last night to train, and I kicked and kicked, but no babooom. The bike ran fine when I put it away a week ago. I've been riding this bike since October 2001, and it's NEVER done this. I'll be swapping out plugs and doing further inspection today, but if anyone has ideas on what could be wrong, I'd sure appreciate it.

Kill switch isn't stuck.

It's getting gas.

It has compression.

Air filter is clean.

Oils and filter are clean.

Top end has been redone once, and valves were adjusted, but it's been a while now.

I'll be inspecting spark first today...

I'll be the first:

Sounds like intake valves.

Could also be the decomp. adjustment. Let us know what you find.

I'll be the first:

Sounds like intake valves.

Could also be the decomp. adjustment. Let us know what you find.

Roger that....

Try bump starting it, I bet it fires....

Then you'll know its shim time, and you may as well think about what you want to do...because once they start to go... they go pretty quickly.

If it were me, id send the head to RHC when it was time... :thumbsup:

In order, I would:

- change the plug and verify spark

- check the intake valve clearance

- drain carb and put in fresh gas

- inspect carb for obvious problems

(I had the slide come loose on my YZF so it effectively "choked off" the air supply - fired right up when I reinstalled it)

- change CDI with a friends

- change carb with a friends

Ditto on the valves, Mine went from running great to "i won't start" in a 30 minute time period. I would bet money you have zero intake valve clerance.

I have just about got mine back together with new OEM Piston, Rings and RHC SS Intake valves and spring kit.

If this is what is wrong, there is really no use in re-shimming the intake valves, because thay are now deformed and sucking up into the valve seats and will continue to suck up further if you re-shim.

If this is what is wrong, there is really no use in re-shimming the intake valves, because thay are now deformed and sucking up into the valve seats and will continue to suck up further if you re-shim.

True to a point, but he can get another ride or three out of it till then.

Mine just went through the same thing. Got it started, it would barely run, then couldn't get it restarted. Acted like it was flooded, but that wasn't it. Towed it and got it to run briefly, before it coughed and died for good. Oil was pouring out of the crankcase breather. It ran perfectly the time before and always started on the first kick.

The seals separating the oil chambers went bad...oil was getting into the intake which gunked up the carb and plug. The seals MAY have gone bad because the cushions on the clutch basket were shot, inducing vibration, or they may have just gone bad. Honda of Houston fixed it all up, new seals, new Hinson basket and cushions, cleaned out the carb and put a new plug in. It runs fine.

They also checked the valves, 150 hours on motor and still in spec. So your problem might be the intake valves and it might not.

Well, I've put in a NEW plug with no success. The plug is firing when I test it externally, with the bike's CDI.

The carb slider is loud enough to hear externally, and it's moving just fine.

It's either the valves or, possibly, the failed internal oil seal idea. I'm seeing some downtime and cash that I'm not looking forward to. I'm betting on the valves for now. Any chance of me fixing that one quickly at home without valve experience?

I've been having VERY similar symptoms lately. I'm having a complete valve job next week. We'll see what happens!

:thumbsup:

Local Honda shop's saying to expect $850-$1000. There's GOT to be a better way. I don't know any mechanics here, yet, because I just moved here. Looks like I'll be shipping the head out and ordering the rest of the parts myself.

I had the same thing happen. I just pulled the head off a few hours ago. Taking it to the shop on Saturday. Piston and cylinder look good after 100 hours. Did you feel a loss of compression while trying to kick it over? Mine did.

Your not alone on this one.

Make sure the intake valves and springs get replaced when you do take it apart.

:thumbsup:

I guess the compression did seem inconsistent while kicking. My bike has been a 1 kick cold starter for 3 years. It's taken care of me until now. I'm just so disappointed, because I had a big weekend of riding lined up and this'll take too much time and money to get back in the saddle that quickly. Who should I send it to?

I had the same thing happen. I just pulled the head off a few hours ago. Taking it to the shop on Saturday. Piston and cylinder look good after 100 hours. Did you feel a loss of compression while trying to kick it over? Mine did.

Your not alone on this one.

Make sure the intake valves and springs get replaced when you do take it apart.

:devil:

100 hours? Time to replace the piston and cam chain too. :thumbsup::awww:

A little advice SawDaddy... The service departments here in Tucson are crooks! Do it yourself or ship it to Ron Hamp.

With no experience you should have no problem doing them yourself. Get the Honda Service Manual from your local dealer. It will walk you through step by step. Save $ and some pain and just do it yourself. Good luck :thumbsup: