Sign in to follow this  

Knowing you have a flat.... while riding?

I've got this problem with confidence on my bike now. I crashed hard and got a concussion a while back cause I was riding a flat that I didn't think was flat... I thought it was the tire and the track that was making my rear squirrely.

Now, everytime I race and I hit some hard pack stuff and my rear gets squirrely, I start getting concerned that my rear is flat or going flat.

Last race I had to pull off the track to check and I'm finding myself doing this ALOT lately.

It's really messing me up.

So, was just wondering if anyone had a surefire way of KNOWING when you have a flat or near flat on the rear without having to stop mid race to check it.

Or perhaps, some first hand advice on how to get over this crap.

Eddie

Foam.

Now that's an interesting possibility. I guess you're talking about something like the bib mousse tubes (at least I think that's what they call them).

Have you ever used them?

Anyone know what kind of "pressure" equivalent you're running when you run them?

What would be the down side to using these over tubes?

I havent used them myself, but after my last flat in Ga. I'm ready to try them.

Supposedly they are equivalent to 13 lbs of air. They are about a 1/2 - 1 pound heavier depending on the brand. And you cant run on the street at high speeds due to heat buildup.

I did just like you, I ran without knowing I had a front flat. I dont like the odds anymore.

Sounds good to me.

I'm getting some.

I was running with a flat rear when I had my mishap.

Funny thing is when I was at the track this weekend (unfortuantely I didn't get to back to back your "gas"... I decided to run it during the race though because had too much other stuff to worry about), I was so freaking worried about my rear that I didn't even consider my front. Well guess what. I went down hard in another corner that I was always "fast" through and bonked my head (see post on falling). Well come to find out, my FRONT was flat.

Anyway, it's messing with my confidence and I'm betting you've got the ticket for me with the mousse tubes etc.

When you crashed because of the flat front it wasn't when you messed up your back was it?

I wacked my back casing a knife edge double. I cased right on the top of the second one and didnt have my knees locked. It drove me like a telephone pole into the seat.

I believe I will be getting some as well. I dont like carrying anything but water on me, and it's easy to get miles away in the sticks. I would do a search on the various tubes as some are definitely heavier, I just dont remember which ones off hand.

Maybe you should consider gettin some balls for the tires too. :thumbsup:

If you are on hardpack, in a straight, and the bike feels like it wants to pull to a side - you've got a rear flat.

If you are at all concerned about a flat, turn. Try to turn in a straight. (like just going across the track or something simple!) Does the bike really waller?

If you've got lots of time and a shot tire, ride with it flat and concentrate on the feeling.

All you need to do is glance back at your tire, you don't need to stop!

Since I went back to a 19" on my 450 from the 18" I put on my 520, I have had the same feeling of "is my tire flat?"

The 19" give me more track feel, which I am not used to, so it makes it feel a little flat to me.

I almost NEVER notice the rear when it goes flat, its usualy my dad when i come in cus i cannot feel a thing, the only thing i can ever feel on the rear is worn out tread or when it has too much air in it.....The front i usualy can notice cus the wheel will keep breakin loose in turns and throwin me on my a$$.

Deth-

Believe me, I'm fully familiar with the wallering... only at times when I don't know it's gonna happen and thus the reason for this post. When I notice it mainly (the feeling, not a real flat is definitely on hard pack stuff.

I'm never quite certain when I look back if my tire is flat or going flat. Crap, last race at the starting line my ride bud looks at my rear and says it looks flat. I check it and it's not. Funny thing is he runs the same tire... maybe with one big exception. He rides a 450F with the 450 S12 & I ride a 250F with the 450 S12. I'm thinking that maybe my rim spreads the contact patch out or something.

YZMan-

Can you briefly describe the concept behind the tire balls. Man that's a lot of reading and I couldn't find any quick info on the page.

Hondadirt

Yep. I got familiar with the front being flat this weekend while I was worrying about the back being flat. I won't neglect it again.

I havent seen anyone with them myself. But from what I understand you inflate the balls to the pressure you want and stuff a tire full of them in. The balls are say 4-6" in dia. Just big enough to fit into your tire. Each tire will take say maybe 15-20 balls.

The balls are tough as hell from what I hear. And if one of the balls goes flat the rest of them take up the slack so you dont get a total flat just a reduction in the percieved tire pressure. I guess the whole system for a tire weighs about as much as a heavy duty tube.

Well, I looked into the michelin bibb mousse tubes and got sticker shock. 170.00 per tire. Then I was like "well, maybe I can live with it for security sake", but then I found out that they only last for maybe a season and as they wear out they start feeling mushy like a FLAT, so then it was kinda like, well, guess they probably aren't in my future right now.

So, YZ250F, what were the other brands you saw? I couldn't find any thing other than the michelin ones.

I also looked into the tire balls, they don't seem to be my ticket either at this point.

So much for getting excited about a product.

170? I could swear I saw the foam tubes for 60, it was the tire balls that wer 170 for me. lemmie look and see if I can find them again.

dunno about the longevity. at 60/tire a season isnt too bad, but 170/tire no way.

dunno about the longevity. at 60/tire a season isnt too bad, but 170/tire no way.

My thoughts exactly.

Somewhere on an obscure link to the Michelin site (I believe), they mention that the shelf life is 6 months. I read somewhere else that you could get a season out of them.