Sign in to follow this  

Bad Timing for Mountain Riding?

I just got my CRF250 and I'm wanting to plan a trip to Colorado right around October 1. I'd like to hit a Motocross track, maybe Berthoud. But I'm also anxious to get some mountain riding in. I know this probably seems redundant, but information on where to ride that is 3-4 months old can be misleading! I've read about concerns related to weather and hunting season. Are these concerns legit? I'd just like a few suggestions on where to go for some easy/scenic mountain riding around that time. If you can guide me towards areas that I shouldn't run into closures or conflict, I can do the research on details. Thanks in advance for any input!

Check out the Places to Ride post at the front of this forum. The CMTRA ride areas should be OK while you are here, but weather can always be the big unknown. Should not have heavy snow here in CO until mid to late October but you just never know. So far September is looking GOOD!

Weather will definatly come in to play as well as hunting your best bet would be almost moab for a gauranteed trip or to play it by ear and see what the weather and snow is like we could get snow by then and for sure would rule out alot of mountian riding, woodland park and rampart would probally be a safe bet but you never know (by clorado springs and south of Denver) also maybee Hahns Peak by Steamboat Springs, Crested Bute but that is pretty high up and good chance might have a bit of snow, there will probally be someplace great to ride we dont know where because you never know, welcome to the weather channel you can PM me when it gets a little closer maybee a week before try to make it on the early week that could be all the difference you need

uugh! well, it sounds like its gonna be Oct 1-4. so i'll just have to keep a close eye on the weather.

If it does turn cold and snowy there are lower elevation areas to ride like Texas Creek and Four Mile which are both close to Salida. Chime in here and help him out ramz. Tim

cool! thats exactly the kind of input i'm looking for! i know it's all relative, but are either of those places very technical? i'm bringing out a beginning rider on a CRF230 and it would be best for all parties involved if i avoid technical terrain! know what i mean? thanks again!