Future of road legal SM? The X arrives

http://powersports.honda.com/preview/05_prevCRF450X.html

Now that the specs have been officially released on this unit, what are the thoughts on this as being their new street legal?

By glancing at the specs, the unit offers wide ratio tranny, electric start, mild cam, slightly different rake settings, larger tank, and lights. At 255 lbs the X looks to gained some serious weight that could eventually be shaved off.. ?

regardless of missing parts, it's still going to have the dreaded "for offroad use only".

Still won't pass emissions in any state and the motor still isn't going to take the abuse of 20k miles on the street with little maintenance.

I think you will need a much neutered version.

I would even be willing to be when (and if) any of the japenese manufacturers do some out with a factory motard, it won't be street legal either.

This bike wont be stret legal in CA without a metal fuel tank... From what I understand, thats one of the requirements.

Where does this stuff come from? Street legal Triumphs, Aprilia, and a number of other bikes, have had plastic(read, non-metal) tanks for many years now. Lights, and can noise would be more obvious requirements.

I don't think any of the manufacturers will offer street legal motards. Maybe the only exception would be the DRZ since they already have a street legal version. I do however think that manufacturers will follow KTM's lead and offer factory supermoto wheel kits and supermoto specific racebikes.

Yeah I could probably get a plate in Colorado. You won't ever plate that in California though. I don't see where they added anymore oil capicity. What a waste of a great motor. 80 miles of hard slow rock infested single track would fry it. Dang shame I thought they were going to really make it into a real all around bike. prairiedawg ?