Sign in to follow this  

What Should I Buy?

I always thought that if I read another "What Should I Buy" thread (or an oil thread, tire thread or break-in procedure thread) I'd hurl. Then I came across this little gem. Larry

WHAT SHOULD I BUY?

I hope someone out there can help me. I've been looking into buying a meal from McDonalds, but I haven't yet decided on what I should buy. I was considering buying a Big Mac with cheese, an apple pie, and a medium Coke, but recently I've had second thoughts. I read on another website that the number 2 meal is a better value and that I can use the money I saved to supersize it. Is the added cost of the Big Mac really worth it? Then, yesterday a friend of mine said that the number 2 meal is crap. I don't know whether to believe him or not because everything else I've heard and read about it has been pretty good. He just bought a fish sandwich, medium fries, chocolate chip cookie, and large Sprite a couple of weeks ago and said that it was the best money he's ever spent. Anyone else out there have any experience with this combination? I know I want to buy some kind of meal, but when I make my decision I want it to be a well educated one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, I really do have a question. And it really is, "What should I buy?" Sorry, but if you've been over this question a thousand times, just ignore this post.

So, I'm 5'9" and 190#. I ride an R1200GS and an F650GS now. Many years of street (and dirt road) riding experience. But I'd like to get off into the mountains a lot further than I'd feel comfortable taking the F650. Just more challenging trail riding and stuff - like taking the road from Golden Gate Park to Winter Park. Or Engineer's Pass. I'll do the required DS mods so I can ride on the occasional road without getting a ticket. (Plus brush guards, skid plate, etc). I don't see myself doing any MX or racing.

So, I was thinking that a used DRZ400e or maybe an XR400R would be the best place to start. If I find that this kind of riding is for me, I can sell the bike in 6 months to a year and buy new. Any idea what I should buy and what I should pay? Larry

Don't go to the McDonalds on West Main Street. When I asked them for an OTD price on a cheeseburger all I got was the standard MSRP + tax. I asked for the manager and told him that I was a good customer and always bought all my fast food from him, even though they were usually a little higher priced. But he wouldn't give me any better deal than what joe-schmoe off the street gets.

I had to have the cheeseburger anyway for my race the next day so I went ahead and bought it.

Does anyone know of a good on-line burger shop?

Between those 2 bikes I'd go with the DRZ....

BTW, I love that other post, just kills..... :thumbsup::devil:

Don't go to the McDonalds on West Main Street. When I asked them for an OTD price on a cheeseburger all I got was the standard MSRP + tax. I asked for the manager and told him that I was a good customer and always bought all my fast food from him, even though they were usually a little higher priced. But he wouldn't give me any better deal than what joe-schmoe off the street gets.

I had to have the cheeseburger anyway for my race the next day so I went ahead and bought it.

Does anyone know of a good on-line burger shop?

maybe he should check out the used market, there's always stuff available on eBay :devil::thumbsup:

Thanks again for the responses.

Just as a wrap-up, I bought a 2001 XR400 today for $3,300. From what I've read, it is as bulletproof as you can get and somewhat less fragile out-of-the-box than the DRZ. If this turns out to be something I really want to do, then later I may be asking for you input on what KTM/DRZ/CRF/WR/GasGas to buy. Larry

to each his own.. It's yours no,, so other brands be darned.. learn to ride that best ya can, upgrade when your ready. It is a solid bike,,, lacks some power, the suspension is not great... but it will go darn near anywhere ya want it to,,, And will keep on running.