Sign in to follow this  

<-- Noober | first post | | first question | HURRAY

Hi all,

So I finally have a job that permits me to purchase toys =)

In comes a wr250f '02 for a sweet price at my local motorized toy shop.

I had never been on a bike before and had only ridden a weak four-wheeler a few times.

I made the purchase about a year ago, now i can get my butt off the thing. :thumbsup:

But, due to my lack of experience I haven't attempted anything major on the bike. (all stock) i've never worked on jack as far as mechanics. I guess i've never really had the money. Everything I've ever had has come from my own pocket.

I need some resource assistance really. Books preferably. Basics to advanced something that can grow with me. Be it a kit or whatever. I want to basically learn the small engine. I haven't even done the free mods on my wr , god i'm a puss :devil: I want to get past this and know what i can and cannot do. I guess everyeone has to start somewhere.

I was thinking of just running over to barnes&noble and browsing around heh.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks@

I was thinking of just running over to barnes&noble and browsing around heh.

Welcome to TT Zombie. Well, first of all you need to buy a Shop Manual for your bike at your Yamaha dealer. The bookstore is probably a good idea for looking for basic books for working on small engines, but you might also try google or Amazon to see if there are good books specific to working on dirtbikes and motorcycles.

Actually, here's an even better place to get motorcycle-specific books -- Whitehorse Press:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/index.php?cPath=4&whpsid=bc7ae88fa607a7fd60d99255c48e53f4

And you'll need to get a good set of basic tools if you don't already have them. By reading the Service Manual, you can decide which specialty tools you want to buy, which you want to try to make, and when to let the shop do the work.

Also, be sure to use the Search engine here at TT in your forum and the General forum to look for specific tips on maintenance chores that you're about to do. There is an amazing amount of info and tips stored up here in this website.

Finally, it helps a lot to watch somebody do a job (or help them do it) the first time, so try to get to know some of the people that ride where you do. If they talk about various maintenance chores ("gotta check my valve clearances soon"), maybe let them know that you're just learning, and are interested in watching how it's done. As long as you come on low-key, you should be able to get some tuturial sessions that way.

Good luck! -Mike- :thumbsup:

Welcome Zombie, you have already found one of the best resources you're going to find..TT. Just make your way down to the wr250 forum and start talking with some members and you'll get enough info to keep you busy for a while. :thumbsup:

Thx guys for the great info and warm welcome. I also found howstuffworks for the basics, very cool website.. not just for auto/bike.

<spent most of my workday there :thumbsup:>

I'm looking around for some classes so i can mess up their stuff first.

Thx again :devil:

I found this book, and as a motorcycle newbie, I like it. I love books...I think I got it at Barnes fer $24.

It covers the basics on maintenance, suspension, engine types and repairs.

Motorcycle & Off-Road Performance Handbook

by Eric Gorr (Cycle Pro) MBI Publishing.