Sign in to follow this  

Replacement Battery

Can anyone suggest the best replacement battery for my '02 DRZ400E?? The original sucks........thanks.

There is nothing wrong with the Yousa battery,, setup, maintenance and use are what kills it. No battery that fits the stock space has any more Amp Hr rating.. . The OEM Yousa battery is small, and just enough to do the job.. if you abuse it in any way,, it will fall short. Some have been buying the cheapies to replace the Yousa,, to each his own. I bought a replacement Yousa for mine :thumbsup:

i have read on here many times people complaining about the battery on the DRZ when i purchased my new "used" 01 S it had to have a new battery from the dealer as it was gone FYI the battery from the TTR 250 fits the DRZ which is what i now have on mine as i wanted to take the bike straight away and the only battery he had was on a TTR. Now far be it for me to ever question what Bronco or indeed Burned says you guys know your stuff no question about it but bronco, battery problems do seem to be a regular gripe on here do you not think at all that the stock battery is not as good as it could be?

Be sure to keep the battery charged up if the bike is going to sit for a while. The first thing I do on a new bike is to wire in a pigtail that makes it easy to plug in my BatteryTender. You'd be surprised how quickly batteries lose charge when sitting idle, and on a marginally sized battery like the one in a DRZ, you'll notice the drop in performance much faster than on larger batteries with more reserve.

Now far be it for me to ever question what Bronco or indeed Burned says you guys know your stuff no question about it but bronco, battery problems do seem to be a regular gripe on here do you not think at all that the stock battery is not as good as it could be?

No argument from me,, It's not as good as it could be,, but that was not the question,, or what I said.. Just that when all else is right.. it works,, but has no room for abuse. IOW, if you leave you key on,, you'll kill the battery, That is abuse. If you fail to charge the battery as required.. it will kill the battery.. That is abuse. If you own an S, and do not keep up on the charge while the bike is just sitting , it will kill the battery, but that to is abuse,, as the manual; clearly states,, to use a battery maintainer..

Bottom line,, Suzuki, used the smallest, lightest battery they could on this bike,, to power the system,, It works, when every thing is right,, but is not large enough to power through issues when the owner fails to set the conditions as prescribed. This would never be acceptable in the auto world.,. you expect to be able to abuse a battery in your car a bit,, and not need a new one every time.. But the motorcycling community is a bit different.. Most all cry and whine about weight this, weight that,, ,, oh is me,, that bike weighs so much.... So the OEMs, do what they can (while still making a profit) smaller battery,, (thin mag side covers).. They make the bike lighter.. but at a cost.

The 7 amp hour battery of the DRZ is not as large as I would want,,, but it does the job when used correctly and in accordance to the manufactures conditions. I never once had issues with my battery,, until I upped the CR and swapped in a non auto decomp cam. And that is not anyone’s fault but mine.

Well thank you all for your input.....definately some things to consider, namely proper battery care. My XR650L never had a problem after 5 years........pretty impressive I'd say. Looks like I'll stick with Yuasa.

Batteries are a crap shoot. Treated the same way on the same bike over the last 14 years, the only thing I can tell you is that some are good and last and others don't. I'm not sure why, but I suspect is has to do with the quality of the seperators and plain ol' luck. :thumbsup:

thanks bronco, i just didn't want it to come across like i was questioning your knowledge, but the battery is a common gripe on here, i have no idea what makes a good battery from a bad, but i just know some people complain abotut the drz battery, i now know why :thumbsup:

thanks bronco, i just didn't want it to come across like i was questioning your knowledge, but the battery is a common gripe on here, i have no idea what makes a good battery from a bad, but i just know some people complain abotut the drz battery, i now know why :awww:

No offence taken :thumbsup: None intended :devil:

And your right,, lots of folks have had issues,, The battery is just not large enough to give any slack to the rider.. Use it as designed, or it will die.