Sign in to follow this  

A KLX300 or CRF230F

I know they are two very different bikes. My husband thinks I should get the Honda CRF230 but I like the KLX. I am a new rider but can ride his CRF250. I am 5'5" and 120lbs so I am not sure if the KLX is too big. I want a bike to grow into as I get more experience. We plan on riding alot. Probably a combo of trail and flats. Does anyone have any advice?

if you can ride his crf250 why not just get another one?

the klx is a good little playbike, tho a little heavy. dunno about the crf230. the klx will take some adjustment to learn to start reliably, but once you figure it out, they start pretty easily.

mw

We recently got a KLX for my 14 yr old who is about your height. Thought we might have to lower it a little but just by setting in alot of sag in the rear he's doing great even in the mountains.

A good friend has a CRF230. It's a really nice little bike but not in the same class as the KLX.

my younger brother has a crf230, it's a great bike, really good trail manners, plus it has a lot of power, i'm 6'4" 265, and it hauls me around the woods with no problems, i would recommend it to anyone

Welcome to TT! The CRF230 weighs 3 or 4 pounds more than the KLX and cannot keep up with the Kawi. On the other hand, the CRF has a slightly lower seat height and electric start. (damn handy) My KLX starts easily with 1 or 2 light kicks hot or cold. The trick is knowing how to position the piston. (not difficult) One thing that I don't understand about the CRF is the drum rear brake. :thumbsup:

Velosapiens has made a valid point - If you can ride Hubby's 250 and are considering a Honda, go with the two-fiddy :devil::lol::awww:

I don't think I really want a true motocross bike (250). I can ride it but I can barely reach the ground with my tiptoe on one side. :thumbsup: I am leaning towards the KLX because of the nice features it has: inverted forks, front & rear hydraulic disc brakes, liqid cooled engine. The 230 has none of these.

I don't think I really want a true motocross bike (250). I can ride it but I can barely reach the ground with my tiptoe on one side. :thumbsup: I am leaning towards the KLX because of the nice features it has: inverted forks, front & rear hydraulic disc brakes, liqid cooled engine. The 230 has none of these.

those are good points. the only problems i've had with my klx in many thousands of miles (6-8k?) are as follows:

1) the suspension is not suitable for fast riding. if you're not yet riding fast, no biggie. you'll know when you need to have it worked on. to be fair, most bikes need a revalve to work really well for your weight and riding style, but the klx needs a revalve to work at all, imho.

2) after 6k miles or so one of my valsves started cupping pretty badly so i had them replaced. that was not cheap. i'll do it myself if i have to do it again, but that was not an option at the time due to space and time considerations.

3) i don't ride it that much since i got my ktm 300exc. since you appear not to be in california, you might consider a 250exc 2-stroke. the 04/05 bikes are 20-30 lbs lighter than the klx, start easier, go faster, last longer, are quieter (once you take the pencil size restrictor off the klx exhaust), require less maintenance, and are oranger. it's a little taller than a klx, but less tall than a crf i believe, and you can have the bike lowered an inch or even 2 inches and it'll still have more clearance over rocks than a klx. you can probably get an '04 for about the same price as a klx too.

mw

Vegas, my wife hopped on my KLX and adores it. I thought it might be a bit too much for her as she has little experience. I am worried about losing it!!

Thanks for the advice. I bought the 05 KLX yesterday. I have not taken it out but I rode it around the block and I already can tell I am going to like it! :thumbsup:

......I rode it around the block and I already can tell I am going to like it! :devil:

:thumbsup::awww: Have fun & ride safe!

The CRF250 can be lowered easily with a link replacement. You should consider it.

Jimbo

I think you made the right choice. I have a 2003 KLX300 and my wife owns a 2004 CRF230. The one and only time she has driven my bike she concluded the ride with a "wow.. thats nice". Luckily for me, she can't live without the electic starter on the crf :cry: