Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X for '05

Looks like Honda is gonna roll this out for '05. Should be interesting to see how this compares to the KTM EXC and WR thumpers.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=6637

The biggest surprise comes in the form of the new CRF450X. Here is some basic information. Honda's engineers began with the world's premier big-bore motocross machine, the CRF450R, and created a lightweight, super-powerful open-class four-stroke off-road racer, including electric starting. Features include: electric start system, California model meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards, gas tank capacity is 2.27 gallons, resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer, USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester, powerful new 35-watt halogen headlight, integrated LED taillight in rear fender, convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events, easy-access air filter, wide-ratio five-speed transmission, suspension and chassis tuned off-road riding, 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection, rubber-mounted aluminum Renthal handlebars (971 bend).

Engine highlights include: four-stroke 449cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam engine, Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor system provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting operation, Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 35mm titanium intake valves, forged 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power, 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.

The CRF450X chassis highlights include: All-new fourth-generation twin-spar aluminum frame, Lightweight, 47mm inverted Showa twin-chamber cartridge fork, Pro-Link single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper.

Let the drooling begin...I've really thought hard about the 250x...now i'm going to have to wait and see how the 450x does :thumbsup:

-Maurice

Yeah, I'm curious to see how it stacks up. The weight seems interesting, listed as 255 lbs, and the mfrs numbers are usually unrealistically low. I wonder if that is a typo, or its the real listed weight. If its the listed weight, I'm assuming the actual dry weight of the bike will be even higher. If it is, the bike is going to be a bit of a porker.

My '00 KTM 520 EXC was 255 dry, real weight, so I'm thinking the CFR450X has got to be less then 255, but may not.

Also wondering if it will have the valve issues the that the CRF's have been having.

Anyway, can't wait for the mag tests and for guys on the list to start riding it. -Ed

I looks fat compared to the CRF250X in the pix. Be interesting to see how this bike shakes out.

:thumbsup:

Pretty happy with Huskys version of the CRF450X I must say...

6-19-04 TE450 trail pix 113.jpg

Hey Kelly,

How's it going? Sorry for bagging out on going out for another loop on our GP ride last weekend, I know Trav and you wanted to go out for another loop and the rest of us bagged. I don't know why, but I was even slower then I usually am that day and was beat that entire ride.

Anyway, I was ready to hang out at the rigs and take a nap while you guys went for another loop, but when I finally rolled in everyone was gearing down, so I never brought it up.

And hey, thanks for showing us around, that is a fun loop, love Hamilton Butte.

Ed

Good meeting you Ed, that was fun. Yes, I would have done another loop but as late as it was getting I'm kind of glad that we did not. Sorry that first hill was a killer, Trav said to "take them on the nasty stuff" so I did. seriously there is some stuff on the south end that is harder. See ya on the trail soon I hope :thumbsup:

Just Great!! Im definitely getting a new 450 this winter now I've gotta pick from

Blue

05_WR450F_BLU_4_3528.jpg

Yellow

5034.jpg

or Red

CRF450X_large_01.jpg

I've never been a red fan but I've been watching to see what the 450x would be like if they did release it.

I have a freind with the blue one and when we trade off he likes the yellow one. :thumbsup:

good to see Honda entering the trailbike arena.. when I first started researching big bore trail bikes I was pretty suprised that honda didn't have anything that compared to the WR450.

I wouldn't want a 05 450X... too many bugs to be worked out in first year models... but in 5 or 6 years when its time to replace my WR it'll be nice to have a bigger selection to choose from :thumbsup:

Sorry that first hill was a killer, Trav said to "take them on the nasty stuff" so I did. seriously there is some stuff on the south end that is harder. See ya on the trail soon I hope

No problem at all. I've actually ridden 272 a couple of times before, so no worries there! :thumbsup:

Nice looking bike....but I'll stick with the DRZ thanks :thumbsup:

That Husky looks damn sweet though :devil:

Nice looking bike....but I'll stick with the DRZ thanks :devil:

That Husky looks damn sweet though :thumbsup:

Problem with husky is parts, both oem and aftermarket are kind of hard to find, unless you have a dealer in town. I want the red one, but I think I'll wait until '06 and hopefully the valve problems will be worked out :awww:

Love the look of that 450 Red.

I will pick up my new TE250 today come Hell or High Water. I'll try to get a pic or two posted today or tomorrow.

Nice photo of what I assume is GP? If you ever wish you could get a shot with both the foreground and background properly exposed take two photos. You'll need to have the camera stay exactly still but you can take one exposure set for the trees and foreground and one for the sky and mountain. Then merge them in Photoshop and you are good to go. Not being critical mind you, but this is one of those tricks not many people know about so I thought I would pass is along.

Greg

The CRF450X looks great. Finally... This news is like finding out Santa Claus is real and he's (really) coming to town. I doubt that this bike will have any major bugs in it, Honda has a very good reputation with R&D regarding their bikes. You can bet the house that Honda has the valve department all worked out. 255 seems a bit heavy for bike similar to a CRF450. Someone will have to weigh the bike when they take delivery on one. Good job Honda, the bike looks great. The only problem I see is the price tag, $7000.00 when you put tax,doc and set up on that were talking close to 8 grand for a dirtbike. WOW :thumbsup:

That is a lot of cash for a new toy. The leftover Husky's can be had at great prices. I'll be under $6,000 out the door on a new TE250 and a TC450 would only have been a few hundred more.

Greg

The CRF450X looks great. Finally... This news is like finding out Santa Claus is real and he's (really) coming to town. I doubt that this bike will have any major bugs in it, Honda has a very good reputation with R&D regarding their bikes. You can bet the house that Honda has the valve department all worked out. 255 seems a bit heavy for bike similar to a CRF450. Someone will have to weigh the bike when they take delivery on one. Good job Honda, the bike looks great. The only problem I see is the price tag, $7000.00 when you put tax,doc and set up on that were talking close to 8 grand for a dirtbike. WOW :thumbsup:

Dan,

I thought that too until a couple of my buddies started having problems with the 250X. Honda is dropping the ball owning up to the valve issues. :devil: I would wait atleast one year before touching one of these. But that's just me. Maybe you are right and they have fixed it. Feel lucky?

Fryboy

Dan,

I thought that too until a couple of my buddies started having problems with the 250X. Honda is dropping the ball owning up to the valve issues. :devil: I would wait atleast one year before touching one of these. But that's just me. Maybe you are right and they have fixed it. Feel lucky?

Fryboy

All you have to do is look to the 02 crf 450 to know what should or shouldn't be done. Tried and true ride blue.

telling Dan Lorenze about going blue is like telling you dog to its time to eat...

...he knows!

The CRF450X looks great. Finally... This news is like finding out Santa Claus is real and he's (really) coming to town. I doubt that this bike will have any major bugs in it, Honda has a very good reputation with R&D regarding their bikes. You can bet the house that Honda has the valve department all worked out. 255 seems a bit heavy for bike similar to a CRF450. Someone will have to weigh the bike when they take delivery on one. Good job Honda, the bike looks great. The only problem I see is the price tag, $7000.00 when you put tax,doc and set up on that were talking close to 8 grand for a dirtbike. WOW :devil:

Dan,

I thought that too until a couple of my buddies started having problems with the 250X. Honda is dropping the ball owning up to the valve issues. :awww: I would wait atleast one year before touching one of these. But that's just me. Maybe you are right and they have fixed it. Feel lucky?

Fryboy

I couldn't agree more, I'd rather read the stories about peoples valves going out here on tt (unless of course they have it fixed, then I'd probably hear that too) then be working extra to buy new ones :thumbsup: