Sign in to follow this  

06' The Year of the 2Stroke

I have heard that the talk around town in 06' is going to be the year of the 2stroke. We all know the EPA is trying to eliminate as many 2stroke motors in the U.S. as they can. This has manufactures in a jam in a way that may work to the consumer's advantage. The EPA could draw a line and put a stop date on incoming 2stroke dirtbikes soon. This could work to consumer's advantage if the manufactures release all the stops. I mean really pull the cork on the 2strokes before they're banned in the U.S. Let the people get as close to Factory secret bikes as possible. I think the bikes would come ready to race. That means great bars,chains,exhaust,break lines,and motor mods all fueled by a trick carb. The bikes would be marketed to the racer and I bet the price of the bike will go up by $1-2000 U.S. We shall see I hope 2strokes never get eliminated by the EPA. If that time comes we all might have taken a step back without knowing it. Off roaders at that point need to make a deal with the EPA. You take our 2smokes and we want open land(2000 acres) to ride our 4strokes in every state!!! :thumbsup:

Theres already a bike available that is 99% of what you described and it's cheaper than a CR250. THe KTM250SX. If I was looking for a new bike to replace the 450, I'd definitely be looking there and at the new 450SX. Have you seen the triple clamps? :thumbsup::devil:

Theres already a bike available that is 99% of what you described and it's cheaper than a CR250. THe KTM250SX.

At the risk of starting a total flame war, my biggest prolem with the KTM's is that no one seems to be able to get the suspension to work in a fashion that is acceptable to a majority of people.

No, I'm not repeating what I've heard or read, this is personal experience.

After riding friend's bikes that were sent to different companies that are supposedly the KTM cure, I never found one that I really liked. Apparently they didn't either, because they all sold them to go back to something they could get to work for them.

Ask John Curea or some of the other tuners what their feelings are.

Until KTM puts the heat on WP to design a great fork and they work out the design on the PDS system, I'll be a spectator. Once they do, I'll try them again because I think they pretty much have the rest of the package figured out.

Asbestos now in place! :devil:

:thumbsup:

2-stroke :thumbsup: stick with the future. you know what is going to kick a$$, why kid yourself, just learn to ride well on a 4-stroke.

Yep KTM is giving the people what they want. I see the Co. making changes each yr to improve themselves every year. I always hear that about the WP shocks. I just don't like the local dealer if you can call him local(20miles away). I have a friend with one and when it comes to parts it's the old "I have to order that for you." I can call Parts Unlimited too and save gas and idiot money buy picking up the phone. Back to 06' all the bikes will be fitted with Alum. frames that yr. Ok maybe not all the bikes but at least the ones that count 125's and up. True Team Green hasn't reported their frame yet but they will in the next yr. I'm excited to see 06' more and more. :thumbs :thumbsup:

As far as the 2-strokes go, I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think they'll disappear completely. My KTM dealer told me they already have engines that conform to the up coming standards. Why add parts until you need to? This is only going to affect ohv and riding on federal land, not closed course riding.

Right now, I think the 300's suspension is at least as good as my WR's suspension was with a lot less parts in the rear linkage. I ride pretty damned fast and hard and this bike feels much more plush to me over the rough stuff like rocks and roots.

For MX and SX, the displacement advantage is just great for the 2-strokes to compete and these bikes are light. Off road however, the mfg's need to pull their heads out and realize we want the same lightweight bike that's being offered for MX/SX. I can handle a 10 lbs increase but the new CRF450X is supposed to be 35 lbs. heavier than the CRF450R which is way too much extra weight.

All I can say is that after riding a lot of the newer 4-strokes (CRF250X, WR250F, KTM 400/450/525 EXC, DRZ400, WR426, XR650R) this 300 EXC is a whole lot of bike that weighs 40 lbs. less than my WR426 did. If 2-strokes do completely disappear, this bike will not be sold when I look for a new 4-stroke.

I don't think the 2stroke will disapear from the world just for us in the US. You do make a valid point with meeting the EPA specs though. My suggestion to WP is to look to PEP Shock Co. they have the nolink shock dailed in for the Quad guys right now.

Man,

I have been eyeing up those 300's lately!!!

this 300 EXC is a whole lot of bike that weighs 40 lbs. less

than my WR426 did.

Tim, you and I still need too hook up and you can ride my bike. I'm SUPER happy with the 300. The lower weight makes a huge difference in the way I feel after a long ride.

Tim, you and I still need too hook up and you can ride my bike. I'm SUPER happy with the 300. The lower weight makes a huge difference in the way I feel after a long ride.

No doubt! Sold my 520 EXC and got a 250 EXC 2 stroke and am loving it! Have ridden most of the modern four strokes and a bunch of the KTM 2 strokes and hands down, the 2 strokes are way more fun and require way less energy in the woods.

Theres already a bike available that is 99% of what you described and it's cheaper than a CR250. THe KTM250SX.

At the risk of starting a total flame war, my biggest prolem with the KTM's is that no one seems to be able to get the suspension to work in a fashion that is acceptable to a majority of people.

No, I'm not repeating what I've heard or read, this is personal experience.

After riding friend's bikes that were sent to different companies that are supposedly the KTM cure, I never found one that I really liked. Apparently they didn't either, because they all sold them to go back to something they could get to work for them.

Ask John Curea or some of the other tuners what their feelings are.

Until KTM puts the heat on WP to design a great fork and they work out the design on the PDS system, I'll be a spectator. Once they do, I'll try them again because I think they pretty much have the rest of the package figured out.

Asbestos now in place! :awww:

:thumbsup:

Mr. SC_Spode, I agree with you 100% about the KTM suspension and the entire package. I had a brand new 03 SX450 and loved everything about it except that stink bug suspension. I had Factory Connection do the forks and the shock, it helped, but not enough to comfortably race at 100%. I told my riding buddies the perfect bike for me would be the KTM engine in a Honda chassis. I like KTM's alot, but like yourself I'm a spectator until they lose the WP suspension.

Keith :devil:

Mr. SC_Spode, I agree with you 100% about the KTM suspension and the entire package. I had a brand new 03 SX450 and loved everything about it except that stink bug suspension. I had Factory Connection do the forks and the shock, it helped, but not enough to comfortably race at 100%. I told my riding buddies the perfect bike for me would be the KTM engine in a Honda chassis. I like KTM's alot, but like yourself I'm a spectator until they lose the WP suspension

FWIW, I've heard very few negative things about the 05 suspension. Overall, it seems much better and much closer to the Japanese suspension. I believe the new frame will also help stiffen the bike up a little. The old frame probably let a little too much of the ground reach your arms and probably made the suspension feel worse. I really don't find the suspension on my SX bad. The rear is great and the forks aren't the plushest in the small stuff, but the aren't terrible either. Works for me :thumbsup: