Sign in to follow this  

cooling issues

I've got an '01 DRZ S that won't keep it's radiator coolant. There are no leaks, it just seems to pump it into the overflow reservoir, and then onto the dirt. It will continue to do this until dry if I'd let it. Granted, it doesn't happen immediately, but after a couple hours on the trail I have to re-fill the radiator without fail. Anyone have any suggestions? :thumbsup:

The cap is good, and has been swapped with a known good one. The seal is good as well. The coolant comes out the vent hole on the top of the radiator, into the reservoir. When the res fills, it goes to the dirt. There are no leaks in the system. I can't figure it out!!

Possibly part of one or both radiators could be blocked :thumbsup:

Are you running coolent or just water?

maybe there is a bad gasket or somthing cracked and its getting combustion gas into the cyl ? maybe the water pump gear broke and its not working , just perking the water around untill a massive overheat?

just some possibilities.

I am running a mix of about 50/50 water and coolant. It doesn't really matter what kind of riding, but normally I notice it on trails. The problem started after getting my radiator fixed - had a big crash, lost all my coolant, didn't notice until the red overheat light came on. Got the radiator fixed, and it doesn't want to keep water. I don't think that one of the sides is blocked, being that I had them both repaired at Myler's, but I suppose that could be possible. I guess it is also possible that I did some damage to the water pump when it ran out of water, but I didn't run it for long in that condition. Maybe this extra info helps... Thanks! :thumbsup:

Check the water pump for flow first, I don't know if they are damaged running without water. I do know a lot of marine engines die because someone runs them without water and then the next time they take it out the pump is shot and the engine overheats.

But also seeing how you just had your radiators repaired :thumbsup:

Start it up with the radiator cap off and the radiator full

If you get bubbles cuming out of the cap then you have blown a head gasket or cracked

A head

If no bubels , just the water level continually rising as the motor heats up then it is possible that the radiator top tank is bent and the cap cannot seal