Sign in to follow this  

Need help Updating parts for 1989 XR 250

First off id like to say this is a great forum with lots of good information.

I was looking to update some parts on my 1989 XR.

Parts i want to update.

Rear fender: I want a motocross style. I don't like the look of the universal fenders. Does anyone know if CR or crf fenders can be made to fit? Or any other fender that takes away that ugly dual sport style.

Seat: It seems possible to take a newer 96 and up seat along with newer side panels and fit them on the older bike.

Rear disc brake: will a 96 and up disc brake setup fit the older XR's?

Front forks. I was thinking about switching the stock forks with a more modern inverted fork setup.

I know some people might say to just get a newer bike but to me that would not be as much fun or fullfilling. I like to step outside the box and do my own thing.

If there is anyone who has done these type of mods or has any direction as to what parts might work it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

96+ seat and sidepanels would also require the new airbox. Some welding of mounts would be required.

The 90-95 rear disk brake setup is almost bolt on. The master cylinder and reservior brackets need to be welded on, but other than that it should just pretty much drop in. 96+ uses the engine as a center support and if it would fit in the frame at all it would take a bit more fabrication.

I'd go for newer XR forks rather than inverted forks. There is less work involved and I feel the XR forks would work better for trail use. The CR forks I have work nicely though. They're conventional cartridge forks though.

I know how you feel about people telling you to get a new bike. I'm in the same boat. I'm having more fun modifying my old bike.

That is some sound advice thanks for the tips.

Has anyone found some modern looking motocross style rear fenders that fit the pre 96 XR's? Excluding the universal acerbis one.