Sign in to follow this  

New guy with a question...

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have been pouring over the threads for the last couple of days. What a wealth of info!

My name is Mike and I live in MI. I ride a crf230 and my 7 year old rides a pw80.

Anyway, when I let my bike idle for 5 minutes and then pin the throttle in neutral it stalls.

Is it supposed to do this?

Thanks!

Believe it or not, some people's dealers do the powerup kit before they sell it to you.

But yes, this is notmal. Even a properly jetted 230 will do this. But the difference is when the load is on the engine. If you pin it and it bogs when you are riding, you have to do some jetting...

it will always do that. I got mine and it did that, i rejetted...still need to work it out its almost a nice brown a little rich now, but it will still do that. It does it if im in first then let off the gas, coast for about 10-20 feet then hit it full throttle as well.

it will always do that. I got mine and it did that, i rejetted...still need to work it out its almost a nice brown a little rich now, but it will still do that. It does it if im in first then let off the gas, coast for about 10-20 feet then hit it full throttle as well.

I just checked mine and it does the same thing. Coast and bogs down when I pin it. Does this mean I should rejet?

Thanks

You must do some jetting. If you haven't done the powerup kit, then do it and the problem will be no more!

I'm thinking about buying a 230F so I don't know much about them, what is a power up kit? :thumbsup:

It's not really a kit......The CRF230 Honda comes delivered in a form that is quite suited for some very serious conditions.(deep water crossings and such) and is VERY quiet. The bike is also jetted on the lean side. Honda has available an accessory carb needle you can purchase, PN 16012-KPS-921. If you remove the exhaust baffle, airbox inlet diverter, install the new needle, replace the stock main jet (102) with a 132, and swap the pilot jet (42) with a 45, you have done the "full-power" modifications. The results are quite noticable, and a big improvement over "stock". There is a "sticky" that another member posted here on this site. It is very informative and has some good pictures, but there are a number of his instructions that I firmly disagree with. You should check it out, and if you have questions, just ask.... I hope you enjoy your visit, and the CRF230 is an excellent trail bike.

There are two reasons for what you describe: first of all, the bike is too lean in stock form, and secondly, any dirt bike with the regular, piston-type carb with no accelerator pump will do this. It's not a mechanical problem, any four-stroke single with a standard carb will stall or hesitate if the throttle is whacked open to quickly, especially with no load on it (neutral). Try rolling on the throttle (quickly, but smoothly). Also do the power-up modifications mentioned in this post and you'll see a big difference in power and torque.

The technical reason for the hesitation is; 1) when the throttle is opened suddenly at low rpm (idle), the manifold pressure/vacuum is reduced drastically and suddenly, leaving the engine's piston with inadequate suction to pull in enough fuel/air mixture. This does not occur with a 2-stroke engine because a 2-stroke engine compresses fuel/air mixture used for the intake, on the down-stroke of the piston, pressurizing the crankcase and thereby forcing fuel/air mixture into the chamber even if the throttle is whacked wide open in neutral. This is the reason that no 2-strokes have accerator pumps, the crankcase pressures provide the necessary boost through the intake, no matter how fast you open the throttle. 4-stroke engines do not have this benefit, and as such, they all have some sort of crankcase breather, to allow the pressures to escape to the outside, and not impede the downward force of the piston, since the crankcase pressure pulses are not used for intake purposes. This leaves only the vacuum generated by the piston to suck in the fuel/air mixture, which results in more sensitivity to manifold pressures.

SmashinZ

There are a few items on your post that you may not fully understand. It appears you understand how two strokes and four strokes operate mechanically. A two stroke can and will "blow out the candle" very similar to these little CRF's when jetted lean as well. If you wick the throttle open on a stock Yamaha Banshee from idle, it will die just like you turned off the key. The Inlet charge on a two or four stroke is not a process of "vacuum". The inlet charge is forced in by atmospheric "pressure". Since this pressure changes with altitude and other conditions, it affects the jetting accordingly.

not sure if any one cares but........ mine always does that when its cold. when it stops thats when I know its all warmed up. I have to slowly give it throttle in first gear when its cold, ride it, then its all fine.