Sign in to follow this  

To Be or Not To Be

I've finally settled down enough to post some thoughts....

BAD NEWS (I think):

On Saturday when we were riding, I kept having to bump start my bike and the idle was rough. I figured it was because I over-oiled my filter. Well, I have since re-oiled the the air filter and the issue has continued. I took it to Garvis Honda today to see what the issue is. My guess is one of the intake valves tightened up. If it is the valve, I'm going to have them put a new ring on the piston while there "in there". At least it will be good as new once they are done.

Decision to make:

I haven't decided on whether I'm going to sell the bike and give up the sport or not???? I feel I've become a pretty damn good rider in the 3 or 4 years that I have been riding and would hate to [@#$%&*!] out and give it up because of some bad luck in the last 3 or 4 rides.

Bad Luck or Good luck:

I'm trying to figure out if my 2 crashes were good luck or bad luck? Maybe the 1st crash was good luck since I didn't land on that little kid on the 4 wheeler killing him when I came up over that blind jump???? Maybe the 2nd crash was good luck because I didn't get hurt like the dude going over the whoops on Saturday??

Anyway, hopefully I'm not coming across as a whimp. I realize that you take risks out there, but prior to these 2 crashes I have always felt in control. I also feel that the 2 crashes were avoidable. The first one was avoidable if there was more signs telling people to not be on an advanced motocross track if they shouldn't be there. The second crash was avoidable if the trails were 1 direction only. The fact that I think the crashes were avoidable is making me feel like I'm not in control out there in the dirt...

As far as my injuries, the scrapes on my arms have healed but my knee is still hurting. It's still causing me to limp around.

Any insight is appreciated.

Clint

Well, since I had a front row seat to your second crash, I'll post my thoughts (as feeble as they may be). That Saturday was a bad day for everyone, first off, it was way too crowded for the riding we were doing. I was having a blast as we were blazing through the woods, the conditions were dry enough we could go as fast as we wanted. I was thinking the whole time hopefully nobody is coming the other way, but you always feel like you'll see them in time if they do. Well obviously we were wrong :thumbsup:... There's too many people out there on the weekends, period. Even on weekdays, it's still not a good idea to ride that fast there. The only way to avoid that is to have one way trails like at Aledo. I can't believe you are considering giving up the sport though. Do you want to race? I'm up for doing some hare scrambles and even motocross next year. You should check out the track in Montezuma, they're supposed to have 6 to 10 races next year I guess. Bottom line, when you participate in this sport, you are guaranteed to come up with at the minimum bumps, bruises and sore muscles. Some people get lucky and never get seriously injured, but the harder you ride, the harder you fall. Anyway, I guess I'm done sounding like a geek. I've been riding for some 25 years now, but I wouldn't let a few crashes make me give up the sport. Ok, now I'm for sure done sounding like a geek... :devil:

A couple of years ago I tore cartilidge in my left knee one week, and dislocated my shoulder at the next event three weeks later. Two months after that I broke a finger. I didn't go down for over a year after that. :thumbsup:

I didn't let either one of those stop my racing. Get back on your bike and quit whining. :devil:

It's not a question of if - it's a question of when. You'll crash again; it comes with the territory. :awww:

Now let's not make any quick decisions here... Clint, the idea of racing hare scrambles is a good one. You can have your one way trails through the woods...and you can go as fast as you feel like. I plan on doing the Atalissa hare scrambles on 10/10/04. Maybe we can all run it together just for fun. I know that you may not want to pay to be AMA and district 22 this late in the season...but think about it. LB

Yeah. I know how you feel. I've totaled 2 street bikes. I just try to take it a bit slower. BC is bad though. They really need some signs marking track direction and I'm surprised there isn't a club down there that takes care of some of that stuff. It seems every corner is blind down there. We should get a hold of that Dale that is involved with the track and bring some of that up.

Anyway hope you hang in there. Brent still can't lift his right arm much, but the x-rays aren't showing much so he goes in for a little cat scan today. I fear he may give it up for good. I think I saw his wife at Menards buying a FOR SALE sign.....I guess it could always have been worse.

Bill had the same problem coming up a hill and colliding with a quad.. I am seeing a trend here with quads. Clint you are an awsome rider to watch dont give up.. Just have to realize you cant go full blast at BC. I have heard talk of Fort Dodge opening next year and 5 more OHV parks are in the works that should calm things down a bit as far as overcrowding goes. Ask my 3 year old about crashing he hammered himself pretty good on monday when we went back out there cries for a few minutes and got right back up and took off.

If it was me I would be more concerned with cost from going to Garvis so much... :thumbsup:

No doubt about it, BC is getting more dangerous all the time. The only way to change things out there is to get involved with the local 4-wheeler club and the DNR! I agree the trails need to be directional and since they have been running hare scrambles out there, it shouldn't be a big deal. It would help to see some letters to the people in charge with some constructive requests and voiced concerns to initiate changes. Now is the perfect time to do so, we may have to get our hands dirty in the planning stages as well. Who is the big wig in the DNR, that we can write to? We all like to ride out there and it may take some effort but I am sure that making changes in this case will be pretty easy. This will probably require a letter from everyone involved and perhaps a petition. It would be awesome to go out to BC and have a 2-3 mile loop to go balls out on! But it won't happen unless we make the initial requests.

Clint don't quit riding...just quit hitting other riders!

The guys name is Dave Downey I may call him today and see what we need to do why join a club lets form our own we already have!!! Growing all the time.. I will see what we can do and post about it later great thinking Andy I also feel they need to post a sign around the pee wee track PEE WEE track...

I would love to really get involved and help BUT I live to far away. 2 1/2 hours is just to far to drive down there very often. But I would volunteer a weekend to do some signing and stuff like that once in a while.

Now let's not make any quick decisions here... Clint, the idea of racing hare scrambles is a good one. You can have your one way trails through the woods...and you can go as fast as you feel like. I plan on doing the Atalissa hare scrambles on 10/10/04. Maybe we can all run it together just for fun. I know that you may not want to pay to be AMA and district 22 this late in the season...but think about it. LB

Hey let me know about Atalissa, that's about 5 miles from my house. TT'er uw153 has been to that event a couple times. Also we work with a couple guys that help put that event on. I think they are looking for riders to ride the trails a few days before the event, and I don't believe you have to be an AMA member to do that. I know they were out this weekend with chainsaws cutting the trail.

I would love to really get involved and help BUT I live to far away. 2 1/2 hours is just to far to drive down there very often. But I would volunteer a weekend to do some signing and stuff like that once in a while.

I think that those who live far away can be just as instrumental in change as those who live close. Well written letters can be very helpful especially from those who are bring money into our community. A letter campain will get the ball rolling....afterall what we are looking for is increased safety for ourselves and our family.

Thanks for all the comments, fellas. I think I've come to the decision to continue riding!!! :devil::awww:

All of you guys are very cool and I look forward to more rides in the future. :thumbsup:

I think you guys have thrown out some excellent ideas regarding safety. I think voicing our concerns to the DNR and the Bluff Creek Organization is only going to make things safer for everyone providing they listen to us.

Baja...

The Atalissa hare scrambles is put on by the Iowa City Competition Riders (319)648-5113 or call Mike Schnoebelen (319)627-2111. On the district 22 scshedule for 10/10/04 Minis start @ 10:00 Adult race @ 12:00. Location: I-80 exit 265, then 5 miles south, follow the arrows from there. It's a good idea to call a week or so before you go to make sure the race has not been rescheduled. If the weather is really bad you should call the night before to see if not cancelled. You can usually join AMA and D22 at sign up. This is the only offroad race that I know of that gives you a T-shirt for entering. And has given door prizes in the past. (I won $75 alum handlebars once :thumbsup:)

as far as getting involved in BC, the Osky off-road riders maintain the park. Osky offroad riders I am unsure of the relationship between the DNR/Iowa OHV assn./Osky club...but I bet they would welcome people who want to help with the park in some way. LB

Clint, I'm glad you will keep riding with us. After I get back from vacation I will see if I can contact the local club and the DNR to see if there is something we can do to get the ball rolling. Maybe Larry can get us an address to write letters to...the more people that request a safer riding area and provide constructive ideas....the more likely it will get done! Possibly by next year we can have something implemented, but it will take the assistance of everyone involved and more, maybe our fellow TTers can participate as well.

Talk to you guys next week...I'm of to Kentucky to ride the national forests!

I would love to do the Atalissa hare scramble. I think we have to have distrist 22 cards as well. I have to check into that and find out how much it is. I am an AMA member already so that's not an issue. I just got back from the Zumbro bottoms trail ride an hour ago and I cant wait for another chance to ride. I am sore though...very sore. And dirty. We rode around 60 miles on Saturday and another 30 this morning. Great time!