Sign in to follow this  

What up guys, I've got some questions on the KLX300R for you.

Let me outline what I have in mind first. I need something which I could ride to and from work on, which'll be maybe 6 miles each way. And I'd also like it to be able to take me to some trails and such, and maybe on longer trips say an hour and a half of non stop riding on the highway. Mostly I'll just go to work on it and take it off-road on some trails near my house. Of course I'd need to buy a dual-sport kit for this bike and thats where I need help. How easy would a kit like this be to install on the bike? This is my first dirt bike btw, no prior riding experience. The reason I want to go with a dirt bike and make it street legal is because I'd really like to get into enduro in the long run, with maybe %30 riding on the street and the rest in the dirt. I've looked at a KLR650 but that thing would be too heavy for enduro imo, I really love that KLX300R. Any advice or lectures would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Mike

IMHO You might want to check out the xr400, it may be better suited for your type of riding. As for the dual sport kit, it should be quite easy to install. I'll let someone else cover that, since I've enver installed one myself.

well, The XR400 sounds like a good bike to consider. Did you mention it because of the extra cc's? What makes it better than the KLX. Also, I couldnt find the KLX400 on the kawi website, did they stop making those? I dont really like suzukis personally, although this may sound dumb to you :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help guys!

Also, I couldnt find the KLX400 on the kawi website, did they stop making those?

If they did I didn't know it. Everytime I've been to any Kawi dealer this year they had one on the showroom floor.

The KLX is good for everything you asked for except the 1.5 hours on the highway. Personally, although it would probably do it with higher than stock gearing, I wouldn't want to do it. The KLX400 is a green Suzuki. Kawi may have quit selling new stock KLX400's. No one seems to know, expecially the dealers. LOL

I have the KLX400SR and love it. I use it to go to and from work everyday, 4 miles each way. I have also done long rides with it. I have taken it on 3 hour Interstate trips and it was comfortable and handled really well. It will top out at about 100MPH without any mods. It is also an awesome bike in the dirt except for the stock tires. If you would want to take it in the mud or loose dirt I would get more aggressive knobies.

Yep, cc's for the road, but the 400 is a physically bigger bike, so it really depends on your size, and if you like bigger or smaller bikes. I was dead set on an XR400, looked into the DRZ/KLX400 and ended up with the 300. I do little road work though...... :thumbsup:

The KLX400 is a green DRZ400, Suzuki and Kaw are sharing models, Kaw doesn't list all the models they share on ther web sites. Suzuki doesn't list all the Kaw. it's selling with yellow plastic either. DRZ/KLX400's(street legal ones) are nice bikes, but much heavier than Klx300, but has electric start and street legal, I have ridden enduros with drz400s and they can do ok, but the weight will take it toll depending on where your riding. KDX200's or 220's are better enduro bikes and well as the 300, but not street legal.

Depends what state you live in if you can convert a dirt bike only to street duty. In Iowa if the title says "off road use only" it generally can't be done, KTM's do not say that on their title so they can be generally be given a title and plate, it's up to the owner to intall the street legal equipment. David

(Of course I'd need to buy a dual-sport kit for this bike and thats where I need help. How easy would a kit like this be to install on the bike?)

I installed a Baja Designs dual sport kit on my KLX 300R without any trouble. It took me about 4 hours to complete, but I took my time. If you're mechanically inclined - no big deal. Most bike shops will install them as well. (but it'll cost ya :thumbsup:) :devil:

thanks for all the help everyone, I live in New Jersey btw, if its of any relevance. Yah I've always loved the KTM's but they seem to be more pricey than the kawi's, how would something like a 250exc work on the streets? Should probably try the KTM forum for that huh? :thumbsup:

thanks for all the help everyone, I live in New Jersey btw, if its of any relevance. Yah I've always loved the KTM's but they seem to be more pricey than the kawi's, how would something like a 250exc work on the streets? Should probably try the KTM forum for that huh? :thumbsup:

Varies by state, but most states you can't register a two-stroke for street. Might wanna ask that question in the general forum :devil:

Kevin

You didn't mention it but will the bike be secure where you'll be parking it? A light dirtbike parked on the street would be very easy to steal, even with a disk lock. You may want to consider buying 2 older bikes (1 street and 1 dirt)that do what they're designed for instead of asking 1 bike to do it all. This may not be an option for you. One of the big problem with a dualsport is the tires. It'll get expensive running knobbies on the street and dualsport tires won't work very good in enduro conditions. You could swap between tires but that would get old fast.