Sign in to follow this  

JD jet/needle kit set-up for YFZ450

Looking to make sure I am choosing the proper needle and jets for Michigan racing. I installed the red needle on clip 4 and put in the 45PJ and recommeneded MJ (I think it was a 165).

It seems to run good, but has some minor popping on decel. I have a 3 hr race on Saturday and want to make sure I set up the proper needle.

To reduce the popping on your YFZ450 (quad), the red needle can be used 1 step richer (#5 position) or switching to the blue marked needle in the #3 position will help. These should be very good settings with the #45 PJ.

The next step would be to go with blue #4 and/or a #48PJ, as Indy suggested.

Thanks,

James

Do I have to worry about meltdown running the red in pos 4 with a 45PJ for the 60-70 degree temps at sealevel, or am I just going to get some popping? Changing out tonight is not a preference unless I stay up all night prior to traveling to the race. If I am going to chance engine damage, then, i will make mods.

Forgot to mention this is the YFZ450 ATV/Quad and is a completely stock motor and exhaust set-up. Is the blue in clip 4 and 48PJ still good?

Forgot to mention this is the YFZ450 ATV/Quad and is a completely stock motor and exhaust set-up. Is the blue in clip 4 and 48PJ still good?

Nothing to worry about in regards to red #4 and #45PJ, the jetting with red #4 is still richer than stock and should not cause problems. The YFZ should run slightly cooler than stock.

James

Like JD says you wont blow it up but if you are lean she will not pull as hard! You have to try both jettings and see which pulls better. :thumbsup: