Sign in to follow this  

What bike will give me the least switch shock from FAST 2 Stroke?

I'm sure this has been covered a million times but I just need to ask as this is going to be my first four stroke purchase...ever. I've owned:

88 CR125

90 KTM250

92 KTM250

94 KTM250

00 CR250

Every single one of those bikes has had every single mod imaginable to it, the 00 CR being the most with a real Pro Circuit motor, not the $400 job, suspension (Works Showa), etc. etc.

I know the time of the four stroke has come, the only four stroke I've ever ridden were an XR400 and a Husky 510...hated them both. They were just dogs compared to my bikes. I love the top end snap of the two strokes, it fits my riding style a lot better than the lugging of the torque monsters, so if there's a four stroke out there that can compete with the snap of my CR, it's getting ordered this week. Keep in mind it doesn't have to come from the factory a rocket, I'll spend the money to make it that way, but top end is where I've learned to ride and I don't see that changing any time soon. Sorry if this post has been covered a million times, but like everybody else I just don't want to get a bike I hate. I'm really debating the:

CR450F (ergos feel like my bike)

YZ450F (every review says it's a rocket)

KTM (just worried about the suspension, probably just yank it and put showa on)

or the new DRZ450

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

if you want something that rides like a 2 stroke get a 2 stroke :thumbsup:

I'll pick up another 2 stroke, but they are going the way of the dinosaur so I figure I may as well start to learn to ride the big 4's.

I had a YZ250 2 stroke. I bought a YZ426 and it took a while to learn to live with it. I couldn't start the thing at first. After a I got used to it I rode the YZ250 again. I did 2 or 3 laps with it and sold it. My YZ450 starts easy and has big horsepressure. The CRF450s are nice too. I think you'll like whatever you get.

if you want a four stroke, and love 2 strokes, get a ktm 300 mxc, it has raw horsepower, like a four stroke, but has a powerband like a two stroke, and try to get an older than 04, because they screwed them all up. And whats everybodys problem with the suspention, they have some of the best suspention on the market :thumbsup:

Horsepressure?

:D:devil:

Horsepressure = Horsepower / ( bore * stroke )

You hadn't heard that term before? :awww::thumbsup:

To the question in the thread -- try to test ride the CRF450 and the YZF450, and let that decide for you. The YZF is supposed to be more 2-stroke-like, but if you like the CRF ergos, that may be the deciding factor. You can always have Therapture re-do your motor, if you want more insane power :lol:

Although I only have 1.5 years experience with the CRF450, I don't need hands-on experience to tell you that the local pros I see on the CRFs love 'em and don't seem to regret their choice. These are fast guys that need fast bikes and they're not touching the engines or the pipes in many cases.