Sign in to follow this  

Bikey no start

I've been having problem starting my bike, more so cold when hot, although it's still more difficult than it should be when hot.

02 YZ250F, White Bros R4 pipe, Power Now added and JD jetting kit. 40 Pilot, main = 185, fuel screw 1.5 turns out, 1 and 2 turns out have been tried also. JD jetting blue needle, clip in 4th position. It fires briefly when I kick it, then dies immediately. Plug is dry and somewhat sooty when I take it out after many kicks.

It seems to be clogging the pilot jet. I can't tell what it is, when I blow it out, it's gone. It could be grit of some sort, or maybe water? When I blow out the pilot, it starts, but will immediately resort to the same behavior.

Air filtre is clean. I put an inline fuel filter in it, no help. I've since replaced my gas can, drained the gas and replaced with new 93 octane 100% gas from a different location. I also replaced the fuel line. Valves were recently checked and were ok. Still the same deal. Compression seems fine, but it hasn't been checked for a while.

It won't idle either. It will idle high once warmed up, then drop to a normal idle, then die. I have to use throttle to keep it running. It was tough to start, then I put the JD kit in it and it ran fine, but was still tough. It seems to be getting worse. Now it's almost impossible to start. I've gotten to where I can pull the pilot and blow it out in record time.

I think I've still got crap in the carb, specifically the pilot circuit as it runs fine once you finally get it started and when not idling. It rips at anything above idle.

I'd like to pull the carb, but what I think is the wiring harness for the AP uses some bizarre screw, I think it's a torx. I have a 20, but it's even bigger.

What bit do I use to pull the harness?

I'll clean the whole carb to the best of my ability, but what area should I specifically look for problems in?

What is my real problem? HELP !!!!

Thanks

Ok, got the carb off, left the wires on and separated the clip at the other end. And yes, the pilot jet is VERY clogged.

I would pull all of the fuel and air jets out and clean all the jets and passageways. Use carb cleaner and compressed air. Give your tank a couple of good cleanings as well.

DO NOT unscrew those wierd bolts on the tps they are like that for a reason. So people who don't like to read the manuals that come with the bike can not easily unsrew them. Instead, unclip the wiring harness at the junction. Just up from where the wire is zip tied to the frame.