Sign in to follow this  

Maybe converting to KTM, need advise!

I now have a heavily modified '02 crf450. I have been waiting for Honda to build a 450x but now that it is here i am disapointed in the weight :awww:. There are so many Ktm models that i am not sure what i need so i am asking for help!

I woods ride only! Nasty single track with lots of roots, rocks and sudden steep hill climbs that have no aproach! I am 6'2" and 230 pounds and have been riding for 15 years. my crf's power seems fine for me but is a little abrupt in the tight stuff and the rocks. do i need an e/xc or an m/xc and do i need the 450 or can i get away with just a 400. I dont think i need all the power of the 525 :thumbsup:

Please help! :devil:

I have the EXC and it rocks! The MXC is more of a desert bike (bigger tank, different gears).

Thanks! Thats what i was looking for, now how about what size should i get. 400,450 or 525? :thumbsup:

The 525 is actually a baby.....a very large and potent baby, but a baby nonetheless. It will be as strong as your wildest hearts desire, yet so easy to control.

You seriously MAY want to consider the 525.

Sometimes my crf450 is a handfull! don't you think the extra power of a 525 would be going the wrong direction? Perhaps the abruptness that my crf displays sometimes is just the nature of the beast? Is the ktm that much mellower? :thumbsup:

I suggest you wait until the 450X actually comes out before making any decision. You may regret it if you make a decision now.

I now have a heavily modified '02 crf450. I have been waiting for Honda to build a 450x but now that it is here i am disapointed in the weight :thumbsup:. There are so many Ktm models that i am not sure what i need so i am asking for help!

I woods ride only! Nasty single track with lots of roots, rocks and sudden steep hill climbs that have no aproach! I am 6'2" and 230 pounds and have been riding for 15 years. my crf's power seems fine for me but is a little abrupt in the tight stuff and the rocks. do i need an e/xc or an m/xc and do i need the 450 or can i get away with just a 400. I dont think i need all the power of the 525 :awww:

Please help! :devil:

If you do mostly woods riding, I would go with the 450. If you decide later that it doesn't have enough juice, you can just drop in the 525 piston and sleeve! If you just ride the tight stuff, I doubt you will ever need to do it.

You would love the 450exc I would try to get some time on a saddle all you need is about 10 minutes or so to see if your a KTM kind of guy they are truly great reliable bikes. A plus to the KTM's is that they have already been making the 450 exc a couple of years so they have the glitches ironed out whearas the CRFX is a new model(250 CRFX and 03 wr450 first year had big problems) plus every old XR owner in the world has been waiting for a 450 CRFX for about 20 years so you will pay top dollar plus some. The Honda will be great Im not trying to nock it I have owned abot 10 XR's all were very good but KTM's EXC are the modern day XR's

The 450X will have first year problems. The KTM's have always had an awesome motor, there chasis needed help. Well in 05 they got a lot of help.

Get the 525, it has less HP than the CRF450R, but alot more torque. It much smoother and easier to ride.

Cheers,

vtec, just for your information, a KTM 450EXC has a dry weight of 253 lbs. and is the lightest of the big bore e-start thumpers, so it seems the Honda at 255 is right in there.

03 KTM 450MXC

Gee! according to the ktm web site the 450exc is 248.7 pounds ready to ride with no fuel. that seems quite a bit lighter then a crf450x to me! Fluids usually add about 10 pounds so that means there is a 16 pound difference! :thumbsup: