Sign in to follow this  

decompression lever and cable, necessary?

guys

the last time i used the lever was probably a year ago, i just don't need it for starting or anything. was thinking of just stripping the lever, perch and cable off my machine

should not cause any problems right?

I took the one off of my 400. I have never missed it and it has been off for at least 4 years. Never have had a problem starting after falls.

When I bought my bike, the previous owner had removed all that stuff, and installed a Hot Start. The decompression stuff is still inside the engine all the way out to the lever on the head, but if you remove all that you mentioned, you'll want a hot start for when you "dump" it.

"The new Hot Start Switch will ease your starting pains! It works by allowing cool air to enter the combustion chamber. After a fall or when flooded, you open the bar-mounted switch and start your bike normally. Cool air in the combustion chamber makes for easier ignition of the fuel charge. Then, just close the switch and you’re on your way! Fits all models."

hss_hot_start_switch_small.jpg

I like the lever for primming a cold start up. Pull the lever in, push the kill button, hold throttle wide open and gently kick 3 times. Release button and lever, kick bike over with a little throttle. 1st kick start up every time :thumbsup: