when the new aluminum frame comes out...

The YZ250 was virtually unchanged except for the alum. frame and swingarm and it lost 5 pounds. 4 lbs just from the frame. Now Yamaha is going to have to do something with the motor to rememdy the oil in the frame. I dont think they can continue putting it in the alum frame like they do the steel one. Cutting wholes in tht frame to run oil would weaken the structure. I would guess the bike is going to lose somewhere between 4 and 6 lbs. next year if they use a similar frame to what is on the 2-strokes. They could do a suzuki thing though and make the frames completly different. We'll just have to wait and see.

The YZ250 was virtually unchanged except for the alum. frame and swingarm and it lost 5 pounds. 4 lbs just from the frame. Now Yamaha is going to have to do something with the motor to rememdy the oil in the frame. I dont think they can continue putting it in the alum frame like they do the steel one. Cutting wholes in tht frame to run oil would weaken the structure. I would guess the bike is going to lose somewhere between 4 and 6 lbs. next year if they use a similar frame to what is on the 2-strokes. They could do a suzuki thing though and make the frames completly different. We'll just have to wait and see.

'

Based on what they did with the YZ frames in 05, I don't think Yam. will do what Suzuki did....could be wrong, but I assume they'll keep the same style and adapt from there.......otherwise, design, engineering, and manufacturing lines would have to be restructured....lots of costs in that, versus just using the same spec. frame made of different material (i.e., Alum.).

However, in my opinion, the Suzuki and Honda frames do appear to be better engineered.......

Nevertheless, I'll be upgrading in '06 or '07 to the Yam. alum. frame back.....probably going WR 450F ?

yes, i think obviously the 4-strokes will be alot lighter when they get the new aluminum frame sometime in the next couple model years. however i dont think you will see such a drastic weight reduction as in the '05 YZ125. in that bike every single component is brand-new and lighter except the clutch plates, clutch perch, kickstarter, grips, footpegs, rear brake, hubs, rims, and tires. the motor is completely brand new. i dont see yamaha doing this with the 250f or 450f because they are already the best bikes in their class (well...the 250f anyway). but no doubt, when the 4-strokes get the aluminum frame...it'll be sick. in my opinion the 250f will be PERFECT when it gets it. ?