How to check and Adjust the valves on your 250 (w/Pics)

Wow. Thanks big time.

If you're married, could you now photograph your wife and how she would ...... :thumbsup::devil:

To change the jets, you can loosen the rubber mounts (on the engine side AND the airbox side).

Remove the 17mm cover on the bottom of the carb.

Tilt the carb, so you can see the jet.

Remove and replace.

I can change jets in about 15 minutes now.

Where's the love for us Blue guys? Ahhh man, I didn't know you had been totally converted :devil:

Anyone else scared of them Sasquatch arms? :awww::thumbsup:

Fryboy

My blue bike doesnt seem to need the constant attention of the valves like my little red valve eater. It is just as easy with the Yamaha except you have 2 cams to line up. Next time I check the valves on my Yamaha (could be a few years) I will do a write up on them.

Shortly I will be doing a write up on how to shim the Hondas since I know I will most likely be needing to do that very soon, and if I can encourage anyone to do it themselves other than taking them in to the shop so Honda dont make even more $$$ off us the better! (Sorry shop guys but Honda is charging us $6k for a bike then getting us again every few months on expensive valve train components and service.

My blue bike doesnt seem to need the constant attention of the valves like my little red valve eater. It is just as easy with the Yamaha except you have 2 cams to line up. Next time I check the valves on my Yamaha (could be a few years) I will do a write up on them.

A few years? That makes me feel much better Larry. :devil: Good job on the writeup. My buddy in the office is even encouraged by your post :thumbsup: This honda is going to turn you into a master mechanic.

Dave

Thanks alot Heckler. I read the manual about shimming the valves. If we are out of tolerance, I guess we need to figure out the size shims to buy from the honda shop and I hear its not too difficult to install them. Any chance you might want to try out your camera again so us newbies can continue to learn in a great way like your post. I was going to take my X to the shop since I have about 30 + hours on it since I felt it is time, but now I have the courage to do it myself. I guess I just need to get someone to help me with the shimming part. Thanks again for a great post! :cry:

Shredjim, (and anyone else)

Just check them and make sure you need to shim. Be sure you write down what size feeler gauge you can fit and by the middle of next week I should have another how to on shimming, including pictures. I will also be providing a spreadsheet that will calculate the shim size you will need. I should have it done around wednesday night. "dont pay someone else to do it" Just make sure you have a descent torque wrench.

I am proly going to need to reshim soon. Checkin clearance later this afternoon. If I do I will take pics for everyone.

Great post. Dump question - do you have to drain your oil to perform the valve check? If so, engine side, tranny side or both?

Thanks,

Erik

Heckler - Thanks for taking the time to photo the process. That type of post is what this board needs more often. :cry:

I did check my valves... zero clearance on the rt. intake, perfect (.005) on the left, and both exhaust are out of spec (.006 vs spec of .011). I think that's what I wrote down.

I haven't taken the next step to see if my rt. intake valve has caused any damage. But, knowing that I don't want to be replacing the valves frequently, I was on the phone w/Kibblewhite today asking them for an update on their spring kit. They are still in the 'design' phase, and are hoping for product the first two weeks of October (I realize I'm echoing others' inputs, but its an update nonetheless).

So now, hmm, I need to decide if I wait for the KW package or re-valve & shim the 'Honda' way.

Oh, and I made one of the little chain-tension tools spec'd in the manual. Gee, that was fun. I wonder if it would have been just as easy to just remove the tensioner. :cry:

Oh, and I made one of the little chain-tension tools spec'd in the manual. Gee, that was fun. I wonder if it would have been just as easy to just remove the tensioner.

I jsut removed my tensioner when I pulled my cam. Took all of about 1 minute. Nice and simle, a whopping 2 bolts.

jsut removed my tensioner when I pulled my cam. Took all of about 1 minute. Nice and simle, a whopping 2 bolts.

Just make sure you release the tension when you put it back in.