Sign in to follow this  

Hydraulic lock during shock bleed proceedure

I have been experimenting with different valve stacks and had a problem with the bleeding proceedure I've never run into before.

while trying to bleed the air from the shock I had a hard time pulling the rod up, it kept sucking it back down as if there was a vacume behing the piston (reb side). I must have disassembled and reassembled it 1/2 dozen times before I was able to bleed it as usual.

Has anyone else had a simular problem.

yes, this can be very hard to get around at times---, you dont run into it very much anymore with the updated stuff because of the way most everthing has a free bleed hole in the piston or shaft-------i think the xr 400 was the worst one for me ,it would try to suck the bladder down in the resivor and you could not pull it back out to save your life, i would drill a free bleed hole in the piston so i could bleed it--------are you using the stock valve ? and make sure the neddle for the rebound adj is not stuck in the shock shaft--that will make it very hard to bleed .

I am using the stock valve, I think your right That the reb needle was probably stuck... I blew air thru the free bleed holes and the end of the rod and finally got it to bleed properly.

Tks