Starting a 4strk?

I just picked up my '05 RM-Z250 lastnight(whoo-hoo!) Even though it was dark and the neighbors kids were probably in bed, I couldn't resist but to start the bike after I got home from the dealer. Since this is my 1st 4strk I went ahead and checked the owners manual before the 1st kick. Made sure the gas was on, pulled out the choke, and gave it a few good kicks (0 throttle). After about 10 kicks w. no results I could smell gas and decided I probably flooded it. I turned the gas off, opened up the throttle and pushed the kick starter slowly, on the 3rd pump it actually fired and there was a puff of smoke out the back-end. I turned the gas back-on, turned on the choke and gave it 10+ more kicks without any good results. Since it actually fired with the throttle open I decided to give it a little gas while starting. Finally after way too many kicks she fired-up. I took a short ride (trying to be quiet) around the neighborhood at low rpm and then turned her off. It was too late by that time to attempt another start (due to neighbors) so I'm going to try again this afternoon. Any advice on what I may be doing wrong? Do I need to take it back to the dealer? My only guess is that maybe the bike was flooded even before the 1st kick. It was a 45min. drive back from the dealer and they left the gas on?!?

Anyone else had any trouble w. the 1st time starting of their new bikes? I did stall-it on the short ride lastnight and it started right back-up w/o the hotstart.

any advice would be appreciated.

when i first got my bike they also left the gas on when the load it and brought it to my house. it took like 10 to 12 kicks for it to fire. but i dont think they changed the stock pilot jet. and the stocker on the 04s was too lean and wouldnt let the bike fire up right. if u let it idle when u do a cold start and rev it like half-way and black smoke comes out the silencer its probably to lean on the pilot jet and needs the #42 pilot jet. it helps out on starting the bike instead of twisting the throttle to start the bike.

1st 4-stroke you say. I have seen many people in your situation and 99% of them are kicking it like a 2-stroke, thus the wrong way. My guess is that I could have started your bike in less than 3 kicks easy. Sure it’s a new bike, and they can typically be finicky until after break in, but you need to know the 4-stroke drill. You can search TT for it. Basically, push the kicker thru a few times to find the hardest spot. You will get a feel for your bike as time goes on, and find it quickly. Now you have located the piston where you want it. Some bikes you have to bump it a small amount past this spot. Now let the kicker go to the very top. I don’t care if the kicker is almost at the top or in the middle, it could be anywhere. But lift up your foot and let it go to the very top. Now kick it all the way thru. Not a sissy half kick, doesn’t really have to be a fast or hard kick, but it has to go all the way down. That’s why it is hard to start a 4-stroke when stuck in a mud filled rut, the kicker hits the side of the rut and doesn’t allow a full kick.

I see so many 2-stroke riders jump on a 4-stroke and just start kicking. I even tell them what to do and they just keep doing it the same way. Really, there is a difference. I have owned both.

my guess is you flooded it. To clear it out when you flood it leave the gas on and pull in the hot start lever and kick it slowly 4-5 times. That unfloods it. don't give it any throttle unless it doesn't start in 4-5 kicks. Then just open the throttle and close it (just like blipping it except the bike is off) Now it should fire up in 1-2 kicks no problemo.

gas on, choke on 2 quick squirts of gas and 1-2 kicks done!!Had hard time starting mine after first got it and was told not to give it gas. Well kick, kick, kick, kick and it goes on and finally it starts. Mechanic told me give it 2 quick squirts and it will start. Smart man listens to what is told him until he proves one wrong.

RZH